I Was Asked To Perform A Marriage Ceremony But Don't Know I'm Qualified

by minimus 32 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

my girlfriend's daughter and her fiancée asked me to marry them last night. They live in Connecticut and will be married in New York. I felt honored that I was asked but I don't think I can do it because I am not a clergyman or minister and my u derstanding is that only clergy or judges and lawyers and justice of the peace can perform a wedding ceremony and marry a couple.

Does anyone have any information on this subject? Thanks...

• Mary
    Mary

Hey hun, I remember there was a brother in my old congregation who used to give the marriage talks, but because he wasn't licensed, they had to get another brother who was licensed to actually do the vows.

You could give the marriage talk but they would have to get someone who's licensed to do the actual vows part.

That will be $100.00 please.

• Simon
    Simon

You can get a license off the internet.

Granted, that is only based of watching the episode of Friends where Joey marries Monica and Chandler ...

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It sounds pretty easy to become registered with some online "church" anywhere.

From http://marriage.about.com/cs/marriagelicenses/a/officiants_2.htm

According to Section 11 of the Domestic Relations Law, an officiant must be an authorized, officially ordained member of the clergy or a public official in the State of New York such as a mayor, city clerk, deputy city clerk, appointed marriage officer, justice, or judge. In New York City, an officiant must be registered with the City of New York. Ship captains cannot perform marriage ceremonies in New York State.

There's tons of places that let you register online to be a wedding officiant. Here's one, but maybe you can find a different one that better suits you: http://www.ministerregistration.org/

• OnTheWayOut
  • blondie
    blondie

To be thorough, check with the state and city of New York to get a confirmation from them on what OTWO has posted.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Nah, the worst that can happen is that two people wind up living in sin all their lives and are condemned to Hell! Don't check.

Just kidding. Of course check. I just was pointing a way.

• minimus
    minimus

Thank you for your input. Just a question, is New York the area I need to qualify for or connecticut ?

• Caedes
    Caedes

My advice is to limit yourself to the traditional questions. We all know what happens otherwise.

• Sail Away
    Sail Away

Minimus, a marriage license needs to be for the city in which it is performed. The minister or JP always says something to the effect, "By the power vested me by the State of ____, I now pronouce you man and wife (or husband and wife)." You would need to be qualifed in NY if that is where the wedding ceremony will be held.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit