news item...9 yr old baptised

by returnvisit 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gustv Cintrn
    Gustv Cintrn

This JW practice makes me crazy!

Not even JC, with all his knowledge and perfection, set that example for his followers!

And the Bible does say that we must follow his steps with great care and attention!

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

In our huge extended 4th generation JW family we absolutely do not allow our young ones to be baptized younger than 16. With a couple of them we have encountered that the urge is strong, but we explain it to them in a way that they understand the example that JC set for his disciples.

GC

• KateWild
    KateWild

It's awful. I blame the manipulative cartoons about Caleb on jw.org. High control indoctrination as it's worst. Truly terrible. Kate xx

• Liesl
    Liesl

They certainly seem to be using the internet and their site to influence children more, lately. It's rather sad.

• stirred but not shaken
    stirred but not shaken

As the Study Conductor in the mid 80s, I was asked by the parents of a 9 year old if it their child should get baptised. I responded, "whats the rush"? These dear deluded parents were responding to a recent article in the literature that seemed to encourage any quite young, but sincere children, to allow them to be baptised. He was a bit different, liked going in service and read well. I still discouraged it. To no avail. Later, after baptism, the father took me aside after a book study and asked why I didn't call on him to read or pray. I told him that I didn't feel that the adults in the group would want to be instructed or prayed for by a very inexperienced child even if he appeared to be exceptional, and that even if he is a male, that does not automatically quallify him. He reluctantly accepted that, mostly due to our relationship. Later the boy, at about 19, drifted and left.

I really wonder how many times thats been repeated, and why the wbts still encourages this. I'm sure there's exceptions, but surely those exceptions, if sincere, wouldn't change there attitude after a few more years of experience in life.

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

Listening to NPR yesterday morning, they had a neurologist on who was talking about development of the human brain. She said the brain doesn't complete it's development until the mid 20's, something about neural insulation, you would have to look up the details. So, a nine year old? Looking at that photo of that sweet little girl breaks my heart! They went on to say that of course, the brain changes through out life, which is wonderful, as most of us on this site can attest to when our brains went from cult mode to knowing TTATT.

• steve2
    steve2

It would be worthwhile doing some research to test whether people's baptized status (yes=baptized;no=not baptized) is more likely to influence decisions to subsequently leave or stay in the organization.

You could argue that, once baptized, the consequences of leaving change (i.e., you can now be disfellowshipped if you break any of the organization's rules), but it may well be that an individual's baptized status doesn't influence decisions to leave. That is, just as many ultimately leave who are baptized as are not such as those who study, go to meetings, go out in field service but who never take that step.)

• SaritaJ
    SaritaJ

According to the bible, Jesus at 12 years was quite an exceptional child, he took on religious leaders at the temple. Yet he didn't get baptized at that age. He waited until he was 30. I wonder whose example JWs are following when they baptize 9 year olds?

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

I'm sure one's baptismal state would influence if one left or not. I also think it would be influenced by how much family is still "in" and whether or not they would shun if you quietly faded, as I did. Some of my cousins exclude me, some don't, my brother doesn't, but we were always close. Statistics would be interesting, although we would never get any from the Borg. Like, how many have left who were baptized before age 21 as opposed to how many have left who were baptized after 21. It still blows my mind that they would baptize a 9 year old and hold her to that decision for the rest of her life! Like, you make all your life decisons when you are 9? Personally, I feel that is a very unloving thing on the part of the parents knowing it could open all kinds of problems for the young person down the road.

• clarity
    clarity

Those "question" sessions just amount to

LOVE BOMBING ....... making the person

feel so informed & very special! They can't

wait to yell out YES!

Hello & welcome to our newbies Blackfalcon98,

and Liesl.........

clarity

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

The center of attention thing will only last until pre-teen, then she will regret the single dumbest decision of her young life up until that point....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit