Purging and letting go of the past

by Skinnedsheep 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

I have rid myself of all the publications on the WT-CD; I have some of the older books, to sell online someday.

I use them to hang the WTS with their own words.

Santayana is known for famous sayings, such as "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it"

So I remember the past but not in bitterness or to hold me down. I remember and it protects me and my memories and what I have learned from them, I use to help others to leave the WT and not to let the past tie them down.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

We are now working on boxing up our children's suits and meeting dresses for donation to good will. Lot's of good memories tied to these things but also a constant reminder that we were trapped in a cult for close to 4 decades.

It is bitter sweet, since there are good memories along with the bad. A hard act to balance the two.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

Remember all the AWAKE! stories about Andre trying to destroy Demo stuff? At first I tried burning it in a huge bonfire...but the volumes didn't burn well. Then I put out TWO giant recycle can for the garbage man....he refused to take them TWO times........??? I called, and they said it weighed too much.

Soooo I loaded up my 1/2 ton Pick up truck and the springs sagged. It took TWO trips to the dump to get rid of it all.

Perhaps it would have gone better if I had called the Elders over for a prayer session for angelic protection first....?

• Aunt Fancy
    Aunt Fancy

Good job! We did that two years ago and kept some of the old ones to sell. I am in the process of cleaning out my meeting clothes, I can't stand the sight of them!

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

We did all that some years ago, most satisfying ! A few weeks back we cleared our loft of as much rubbish as we could, there is still some stuff to sort, but bu***r me if some more literatrash didn't surface ! That went straight on the bonfire, Bonfire of the Vanities.

I think I have purged all I need to of my JW past, my bad attitudes and thoughts due to a JW upbringing etc, but I am keeping some memories, some fond, some not so good, because it was my past, and I need to keep a little anger burning deep down to equip me to help in the fight aginst this evil Organization.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I took all my old dublications to the recycling plant. I figured that if they got recycled into bed pans for the hospitals they'd be full of less harmful crap ultimately.

• bigmac
    bigmac

ive not had any wt stuff in my life for soo many years--nor a bible--a koran--or a book of mormon. no need--no interest. i have mixed memories of my time in the cult. i had a big circle of friends--but ive managed to live without them for the past 35 years.

• SafeAtHome
    SafeAtHome

punkofnice That is hilarious! Skinnedsheep Good for you, that has to feel good. Now you have room for MORE STUFF, like that Rubbermaid commercial said when the lady whose house was a mess and she got all organized with Rubbermaid bins...she said now, I need more stuff! Hopefully it is good stuff that will hold future happy memories for you and your family.

• snakeface
    snakeface

That's great! Now you are FREE! I like that you got rid of even the meeting clothing. It's a healing process.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

I am experiencing the greatest of envy right now......Not being a jealous person at heart...I applaud your situation....Congrats! Jolly good show and all that! Have a stiff drink, take in a deep breath and let it all go to the second hand store, the dump or the burn pile!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit