"Infidel" by Ayaan Hirsi Ali - The Story of a Muslim Apostate

by cofty 11 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty

I have just finished one of the most powerful, thought-provoking books I have ever read.

If somebody really wanted to know the reality of life inside the Watchtower they must talk to a rational ex-JW. Only people like us can see through the offical statememets and stereotypes and understand the thinking, pressures, hopes and fears of life in the cult.

Ayaan Hirsi Ali shares her personal experience of growing up in a Muslim community. Ayaan was born in Somalia with it's culture of clan loyalty and honour. Her courage in taking control of her life is deeply moving. How she goes from pious Muslim to atheist and Dutch polititian is an amazing story. Her courage to walk away from her family and entire clan, at risk to her life, is an inspiration. It is full of moments that will resonate with you if you grew up as a JW.

It is not a theological attack on Islam but an honest account of the effects of the Muslim faith on ordinary lives - especially on women. Do not dismiss this book because Ayaan's was an experience of a strictly conservative family. Nobody understands the thinking of the whole spectrum of Muslim faith better than she does. Hers is not a simplistic critique of Islam, it is expert and insightful.

Ayaan has lived with the threat of death since 2004 when her friend Theo van Gogh was brutally murdered by Mohammed Bouyeri. Hirsi Ali and van Gough had collaborated on a 10 minute film called "Submission" highlighting the plight of Muslim women.

Ayaan's greatest critics have not only been offended Muslims by the million, but liberal western academics and commentators who naively hold to cultural relativism.

I cannot recommend this book strongly enough. I am now reading the second part of her autobiography "Nomad - A Personal Journey Through the Clash of Civilisations"

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Thanks for the recommendation COFTY.

I just reserved a copy at our local library. Most likely my wife will read it and give a full report. . . . I just don't have the time right now.

I had my wife read "Unorthodox" by Deborah Feldman, and she was very impressed.

She went on to read Feldman's most recent book "Exodus," and did so within 24 hours of taking it out at the library - it was that riveting.

• bohm
    bohm

read it a few months ago, very good and powerfull. Her second book nomad is good too but suffers from being less well structured and covering many of the same subjects

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

I watched that Youtube video of one of her lectures that you posted Cofty and found it very enlightenin, particularly in how she describes Islam as a philosophy all about how our live's on earth are just temporary and not the 'real life' and how everything a Muslim should do is with the aim of securing their future in the 'real life' ie in the hereafter.

Where have I heard that before?!

• Deceived
    Deceived

I read this book in July of this year, I was blown away by it.

Did it ever give me insight into the world of growing up in extremist Islam. I learned about Somalia and how they live and think. She is an amazing woman and someone who used critical thinking and acted on it. I have watched videos of a lot of debates she has been involved in. She is well spoken and informed. I am going to read it again soon.

• Simon
    Simon

Something to add to my reading list !

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Thanks for this recommendation, cofty. I haven't read any of Hirsi Ali's books but having heard her speak she comes across as very intelligent and articulate. I'll buy 'Infidel' when I have the time.

Can you confirm that she has been living with the threat of death (therefore she has a guard or hotline to the police) continuously since 2004? Have I got that right?

• cofty
    cofty

Yes she has been living under a fatwa since 2004 and has an armed guard in the USA. The fatwa was left impaled into the body of her friend Theo van Gogh.

Holland originally offered her a home and citizenship but later lost it's nerve.

I learned a lot about the thinking of normal Muslims by reading her book.

This video will give some insight into her thoughts. She is very disappointed by liberal western feminists. She accuses them of racism for excusing the opression of muslim women.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2VUFH4Nz8c

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

'The fatwa was left impaled into the body of Theo van Gogh' - the religion of peace strikes again.

'She is very disappointed by western liberal feminists and accuses them of racism' - I think I get where she's coming from.

Western feminists seem to hold white, 1st-world sexist pigs to a much higher standard than they hold swarthy, 3rd-world sexist pigs. I'll have to finish watching the vid.

• cofty
    cofty

Western feminists seem to hold white, 1st-world sexist pigs to a much higher standard than they hold swarthy, 3rd-world sexist pigs.

Yes - and casually accept the opression of Muslim women, in a way that would cause them moral outrage if the victims were white middle class American or European women.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit