Taking on Jehovah's Witnesses fake Child Safeguarding Policy in the UK

by Watchtower-Free 55 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

I agree totally phizzy with what you said, and i also understand that they were under no legal obligation to hand over the documents. But just think of the scenario now if they had handed over the documents the first time. We have learnt from our mistakes, and we are making every effort we can to correct this problem. This would of completely debunked Miss Good claims in the video, and you sort of got to ask the question of just how stringent their polices and procedures are when their middle managers (elders) don't even know a document exists. If I was them I would want the public to phone up so I could give a witness to them about our child protection policies.

• fastJehu
    fastJehu

par. 20 in this policy:

"This policy applies to all charity Trustees, congregation elders, and other members of the congregation."

How could this policy applies to elders and the R&F, if they never have seen this policy?

par. 24 in this policy:

"This policy will be made available to any members of the congregation who make the request."

How could any member request it, if not even the elders know about it?

Great videos from Katie.

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Although legal they certainly didn't do themselves any favors in the worst possible situation.

• blondie
    blondie

Phizzy, I asked because I don't know what agencies in the UK would have any jurisdiction. I understand the road block in the US with churches/religions hiding behind the 1st amendment of the US Federal Constitution. But is there a similar protection in the UK?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

As outlined by Robert (ABS) above, it is the lack of Laws stipulating a Charity's responsibility in this area.

I believe the Law needs changing, and that law on requiring all Orgs to comply with the things listed by Robert above needs to be established/tightened.

• carla
    carla

First seeing this thread I thought, oh man, 3 videos? my jw will be up soon and didn't know if I wanted to take the time. The time is well worth it! I love her. Best of luck to her!

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Information on the requirements of UK charities with regard to safeguarding children.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/safeguarding-children-and-young-people

"How, by law, trustees of charities working with children and other vulnerable groups must promote their welfare and protect them from harm."

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/safeguarding-children-and-young-people/safeguarding-children-and-young-people

Extracts (other than headings, bold mine):

The revised government inter-agency statutory guidance Working together to safeguard children 2013 came into effect on 15 April 2013 and it is expected that all organisations, including charities, comply ‘unless exceptional circumstances arise’.

[...]

The child protection policy

This is a statement of intent that demonstrates a commitment to safeguard children involved with a charity from harm. The essential inclusions for a child protection policy are outlined below:

• the welfare of the child is paramount
    • no child or group of children must be treated any less favourably than others in being able to access services which meet their particular needs
    • all children without exception have the right to protection from abuse regardless of gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality or beliefs
    • the policy is reviewed, approved and endorsed by the board of trustees annually or when legislation changes
    • who the policy applies to (ie all trustees, staff and volunteers)
    • children and parents are informed of the policy and procedures as appropriate;
    • all concerns, and allegations of abuse will be taken seriously by trustees, staff and volunteers and responded to appropriately - this may require a referral to children’s social care services, the independent Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO) for allegations against staff, trustees and other volunteers, and in emergencies, the Police
    • a commitment to safe recruitment, selection and vetting
    • reference to principles, legislation and guidance that underpin the policy
    • arrangements for policy and procedures review
    • reference to all associated policies and procedures which promote children’s safety and welfare eg with regards to: health and safety, anti-bullying, protection of children online, and photography
    Child protection procedures and systems

Procedures and systems provide clear step-by-step guidance on what to do in different circumstances and they clarify roles and responsibilities. Systems for recording information and dealing with complaints are also needed to ensure implementation and compliance. Child protection procedures should be linked with the Local Safeguarding Children Board’s procedures or the All Wales Child Protection Procedures, as relevant.

The procedures and systems should include:

• a named person (and deputy) with a clearly defined role and responsibilities in relation to child protection, appropriate to the level at which s/he operates
    • a description of what child abuse is, and the procedures for how to respond to it where there are concerns about a child’s safety or welfare or concerns about the actions of a trustee, staff member or volunteer. Relevant contact details for children’s services, police, health, the Local Authority Designated Officer (LADO), Child Exploitation Online Protection Centre (CEOP) for eSafety concerns and NSPCC helplines should be available
    • a process for recording incidents, concerns and referrals and storing these securely in compliance with relevant legislation and kept for a time specified by your insurance company
    • guidance on confidentiality and information sharing, legislation compliant, and which clearly states that the protection of the child is the most important consideration
    • a code of behaviour for trustees, staff and volunteers. The consequences of breaching the code are clear and linked to disciplinary and grievance procedures
    • safe recruitment, selection and vetting procedures that include checks into the eligibility and the suitability of all trustees, staff and volunteers who have direct or indirect (eg helpline, email) contact with children. In the case of trustees, because of their position within the charity, we take the view that whenever there is a legal entitlement to obtain a DBS check in respect of such a trustee, a check should be carried out. This goes beyond circumstances where the trustee comes into contact with children (endnote). A complaints procedure which is an open and well publicised way in which adults and children can voice concerns about unacceptable and/or abusive behaviour towards children
    • systems to ensure that all staff and volunteers working with children are monitored and supervised and that they have opportunities to learn about child protection in accordance with their roles and responsibilities. Safeguarding induction training is now mandatory for all those who work directly with children, young people, their families and/or carers
    • requirements for trustees, staff and volunteers to learn about child protection in accordance with and as appropriate to their roles and responsibilities, including the emerging issues of eSafety, domestic violence, forced marriage, female genital mutilation, children who live away from home or go missing, child sexual exploitation, race and racism and violent extremism

It is important that each charity’s safeguarding policy and procedures are tailored to the type of contact that the charity has with children and it also needs to take into account any particular vulnerabilities of the children with whom the charity has contact; for example disabled children who are at increased risk of abuse; babies and toddlers who are vulnerable due to their age and dependence on adults.

As Louise Goode highlighted in her videos, not only was the safeguarding officer (who is required to be named) unwilling to give his name and the Org unwilling to send out a copy of the policy/procedure, the local elders she met with had no clue about such a document from the UK branch. Local elders are trustees of their congregation - individually registered charities. How can they annually review the policy/procedure as is required by the Charities Commission if they don't know about it? And would this also mean that each congregation should have a named safeguarding officer and deputy?

The Commission says that a complaints procedure, where adults and children can voice concerns, is supposed to be well-publicized. But if the elders don't know about it and if the branch doesn't send out copies of their child safeguarding document or if the only protocols elders know about are outlined in a private BOE letter, how can adults and children in the congregation get to know the appropriate way to voice concerns?

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

So impressed with her. I wrote to the charity comission in 2012 about these issues and they were not interested. They have been forced to consider the issue now and sounds like they are shocked at what is going on with tax exempted funding.

• Pams girl
    Pams girl

BTTT

• Listener
    Listener

An amazing lady, she's exposing so much.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit