September 24, 2014 BOE

by wifibandit 59 Replies latest watchtower bible

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Viva la Viva nailed it:

Agreed.

I also agree that this is definitely not to help JWs explain 1914 to others, it's to shut down any doubts that are coming up due to the fact that 100 years have gone by and not one damn thing has happened. if someone at the door asks about 1914, there's no way that they're a potential bible study...they're asking because they know a thing or two about JWs and they're trying to sow seeds of doubt. That's why the 1914 stuff is always at the very end of their indoctrination manual - for them to have any chance of convincing someone of it, they have to wait until they're already deeply invested.

Also, just because they're doing this big 1914 shebang right now, doesn't mean that they're not planning on scrapping it eventually. Right now they're doing damage control and buying time. Afterall, they can't be seen as having capitulated to the passage of time by changing/abandoning 1914 on the 100 year aniversary. Or maybe they just don't quite have the votes to change it yet. Personally I'm about 50/50 on whether they change 1914 before 2034 or a few years after. They do love to set dates, and the current GB is far enough removed from 1975 that they may well believe the lies they tell about what happened then (that some witness privately speculated that 1975 would be the end but the WTS never promoted the date). If they believe the lie that they've been forced to tell for years, then they'll probably see 2034 as valid because they're predicting it, not "some witnesses." 2034 is a long ways off, though, so I don't expect them to start pushing it for another 10-12 years. In that time a lot of things (including 1914) could change.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I do agree that no householders ask about 1914 anymore, unless they have an agenda. Also, messing with 1914 right now is counter-productive to their re-branding efforts. It would be tantamount to saying," Oh yeah! We are totally wrong and worldly people are right!" That would be very damaging.

• All for show
    All for show

We have family dinners often, the older relatives talk the truth, but always shut up when any of us come in the room and we are in our 30-40's.

to our surprise, last night at a family dinner 8 of my aunts/uncles, who were born in and we consider spiritually mature said 1914 is wrong, the end isn't coming anytime soon, and like any group of humans this group of Gods people has turned corrupt. What a shocker! They range in age from 55-76. Then this thread of what we are about to hear...their going to die at meeting, can't wait for family dinner after that.

• metatron
    metatron

I rejoice at the continuing progress of limp, passive-aggressive behavior by Witnesses.

Reading too hard? We'll dumb it down.

Field service too hard? We'll make it easier.

That Blood thing? Don't worry, we've got loopholes.

Elders burnt out? We'll do the meetings for you.

In the end, all the hoopla and hype come down to donations. If Witlesses don't open their wallets, that's the end, regardless of other stats.

metatron

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

metatron -Elders burnt out? We'll do the meetings for you.

This makes me think of Winston Smith out of 1984 with the TV on his wall.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

This is 100% about control, as others have said. They don't trust the publishers to get it right? Why? Because it's an absolutely ridiculous explanation, and a totally fabricated prophecy!!!

Maybe I'll comment about the effectiveness. Raise my hand:

Conductor: Brother Quietly?

LQ: Um, I have a question: Why did the Witness in the demonstration use verses from Daniel 12 to attempt to convince the householder that Daniel was confused in a completely different vision and a complete different time in his life, when, according to Daniel 4, he clearly was NOT confused???

Conductor:

Conductor: Ok... anyone else?

-----

Or maybe:

LQ: Um, I have a question: How EXACTLY did the Witness in the demonstration connect Luke 21:24 to Daniel 4? I'm confused about that, since there doesn't seem to be any connection except the word times, which, frankly, is too generic to have any such connection.

-----

Or maybe:

LQ: Um, I have a question: Since we convert 1,260 days into years and multiply by two, and we get this number from Revelation 11:3, why isn't the time period the two witnesses in Revelation 11:3 converted to years? Shouldn't they witness for 1,260 years?

-----

Or maybe:

LQ: <stands up> HOW CAN ANY OF YOU BELIEVE THIS BULLSH**!!! <walks out>

-----

One can dream, can't he?

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

This makes me think of Winston Smith out of 1984 with the TV on his wall.

Just wait 'till they start having public talks by GB members played. Not to mention the tie-ins at the convention this year. Sadly, this is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the parallels to 1984.

• Separation of Powers
    Separation of Powers

Well, this pretty much addresses any question of whether they are going to abandon 1914 or not. If anyone mentions "abandon" again, just tell them the ORG is embracing it with "WILD ABANDON!"

• Londo111
    Londo111

I'll be curious to see this video. It wasn't finished as of 9/24!

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

Oubliette: ...is anyone else creeped out that there is even an expression "our beliefs about 1914"?

The clear implication is that all JWs everywhere have exactly the same "beliefs" about the significance of this number.

Actually, to me it makes perfect sense:

"The endeavor to compel all men to think alike on all subjects, culminated in the great apostasy..." Wt Sep. 1893, p.264

Julia: So this tells me jws don't even know why they believe 1914 is significant

I am often staggered at the ignorance JWs have as to their own beliefs. Arguably, 1914 is the most important doctrine to JWs, yet, especially among those that have studied and been baptized in the last 10-15 years, they cannot explain it and have no desire to. Frankly, in JW Land, understanding your beliefs has little relevance and is secondary to blind obedience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit