Does money buy happiness and a longer life? You decide...

by Brock Talon 46 Replies latest social current

• hoser
    hoser

my experience mirrors yours to a certain extent. When I was a poor pioneer and ministerial servant I was miserable. Working night shift as a janitor, barely making ends meet. I was always under pressure from the congregation to do more.

Although I am not rich I earn enough to be able to have the time to live a decent life. Yes I am happier now than i was then.

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

I found it interesting that when it came to sex (my favorite subject!) That the highest income had less sex by age sixteen, but more drug use. Whereas, at the lower end, it was more sex, but about the same drug use. Unusual ramifications...

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

As I review the chart I see something now that I missed earlier:

Even the happiest group, only scores 41.

Assuming that means that 41 of 100 polled claim to be happy, that means 59 are unhappy (of the happiest/richest group).

Of the po folk almost 3/4 are unhappy.

That's really sad.

No wonder they want to ban handguns! Everyone is so depressed!

Doc

• EndofMysteries
    EndofMysteries

I think we should all consult the bible on this matter.

In Ecc 10:19 it says, " A feast is made for laughter, wine makes life merry, and money is the answer for everything."

So there you have it, money is the answer for EVERYTHING! :)

• Brock Talon
    Brock Talon

DesirousOfChange,

I don't think the "happiness" scale went exactly like that. The "very happy" was at the top of the scale. After that, I believe they had choices for "happy", then "neither happy nor unhappy", then "unhappy", "very unhappy"... it was something like that.

So, you cannot infer that if you were not "very happy" then you were "unhappy". Maybe the highester earners were 41% "very happy" and 59% "happy"... who knows? Time magazine didn't give all the numbers for the rest of the scale.

Had they given that to us, then we could have seen numbers like "what percentage of highest earners were at least happy or higher"... Or, "how many of the highester earners were very unhappy"... or "how many of the lowest earners were very unhappy"... etc.

That would have been interesting to see as well.

• prologos
    prologos

FROM BBC ON GENETICS: Long life not from genes, but from Zip-code. The difference in Glasgow from the richest to the poorest Zip Code is an astonishing 28 Years!

location location.

(future of human society)

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

It cant buy happiness but I can sit in my paid off house watching my 70 inch TV and sip on 12 year old scotch and be grumpy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit