Does money buy happiness and a longer life? You decide...

by Brock Talon 46 Replies latest social current

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Wealth creates options. I always tell students not to focus on what you own, but on your equity (I am an accounting professor).

You have a duty to create value (i.e. wealth) for yourself and your family. Few people understand this. Once you understand this you will realize that money is not evil, or even the love of money. Money is only a measurement - is a yardstick evil?

By focusing on creating wealth or equity (assets - liabilities) you will have a happy life and you will attract many beautiful women, which is the root of all evil... (just kidding).

So, Brock, when was the last time you put on an Excel spreadsheet what you own and what you owe. This is an exercise that we should all do regularly and become a metric that you should compare to future measurements. Now that you have created immense wealth for yourself with your book (which I purchased, read, and liked) you need to develop a plan to create wealth.

• prologos
    prologos

Money can buy free time, time to exercise your constitutional tight to the "-- life, PURSUIT of happiness--". also, the longer you live, the longeryou draw pensions, your total income, the pursuit.

happy hunting.

• Brock Talon
    Brock Talon

Thanks for asking NewYork44AM, but yes I have worked out my personal issues regarding net worth, retirement and so on. I've been doing that regularly for many years... long before there was a "Brock Talon" in the world.

Thanks for the shout out on the book, but my little story will not make me wealthy... it's too small of a sub-genre.

My next book won't do much for that either... I am writing it knowing full well it's a labor of love.

Brock Talon

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I am writing it knowing full well it's a labor of love

What good is love, it can't buy money.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Poverty makes for unhappiness and a short life.

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

I would think much would depend on how one obtained their wealth to determine whether happiness was a direct correlation. Hard work? Good. Hard work and always away from home and loved ones? Not so good. Inheritance or born into old money? Possibly good but fraught with variables. Windfall such as the lottery? Often lost very quickly due to mismanagement. Insurance payout? Usually the result of a highly unwanted death of a loved one. How one ends up with that money most certainly influences the impact it has on their life I would think.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

" not sure who said " Health is wealth"..but as we get older i tend to agree.

• stillin
    stillin

I would rather be rich and unhappy than poor and unhappy

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Maybe the trick is contentment?

• hoser
    hoser

I'm of the opinion that once you have your first million anything after that doesn't matter.

If you are at a place in life where you can choose what you will work at, own your house outright, have a reliable vehicle, can afford good food, health care what does the rest matter. Life is good

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit