Most Jdubs are nice people, not really evil - give us all a break from this

by hamsterbait 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I do not think I would use the word evil of R&F JW's.

I think they are very ready to do evil acts at the bidding of their evil masters, i.e shunning, denying themselves, or worse their children access to a Blood Transfusion etc etc

In mitigation they do these things because they are both deluded and misguided, but as I said above, they bear heavy responsibility for their masters being able to hold such influence over millions, without their support it would not happen.

Every time a JW steps in to a Kingdom Hall, he or she is giving a seeming legitamacy to the Leadership, who are Evil.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I wasn't intentionally evil when I was a JW. I was raised to believe I was being totally moral.

I don't know if 'evil' is the word I'd use but then again I don't know what word I would use. Perhaps 'radicalised'.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

hamsterbait; do you think good people are incapable of doing bad - even wicked - things? If so, point me in the direction of ONE GOOD PERSON.

I understand your frustration and anger and I would agree that individual Jehovah's Witnesses need to be held accountable for their actions, they can't simply pass the buck when it comes to shunning, holding back further education from their children or sacrificing life for the sake of blood.

I make NO excuses for the deplorable conduct and decisions of the majority of JW's but to throw a blanket label of 'evil' upon them is unfair.

With notable exceptions, Jehovah's Witnesses are NOT Stupid or Evil.

Nic'

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

They aren't evil just phoney. Totally fake, conditional love. Being a JW is one of the most annoying experiences socially because there are definitely cliques, ol' boys clubs, popular people, etc. as in any group. However the difference is when you are a JW you can not complain about it. John 13:35....love amongst ourselves, stop being petty, love covers a multitude of sins.... blah blah.

So pretty much you can be treated like crap by others, they can be phoney to your face, but you have to "love them" and "forgive them" lol.. such a wonderful, christian organization.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Hold on a minute You are talking about me a few years ago . Sis Blues can be "trying" but evil? No. My late Mother was a convert back in the 50's and I would fight any man who called her evil.

So what is it that can make ordinary decent people accept teachings that the rest of society can see are just plain wrong, morally speaking? Remember the famous "Milligram experiment" in psychology? It demonstrated that regular people can be persuaded to inflict pain on others - strangers , if an authority figure so demands it. Who is the authority figure in the mind of the Dub? Jehovah God. There is none higher and his actions cannot be questioned for they must be right.

Hamsterbait mentions the Nazis , who were evil , but would you say that the whole German nation of the '30's was evil? Surely not, they were taken in, deceived by a clever political leadership and exploited....

It is a strange thing, I know, that ordinary and otherwise conservative people have such a radical creed, but they do. Perhaps a cleverer man than I can explain it. Put the blame where it belongs, on past Presidents and their successors now the Gov.Body. They are to blame.

• Justnowout
    Justnowout

Always nice to see Goodwin's laws in action

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I wouldn't say JWs are evil, because evil implies intent to harm. Most JWs indeed do evil things, but they're deluded and controled in such a way that they actually, deep-down, believe that they're being good people.

Everyone wants to paint the world in black and white with evil people and good people. The reality is that we're all just people, a product of our genes and environment. Given the right circumstances, you can get just about anyone to do evil things. It's a scary notion, but I think being in denial of that fact only leads to more evil in the world. If people are allowed to keep this black and white view of good vs evil, it only makes it easier for them to justify evil actions. If people are made aware of just how easily anyone can be made to do evil things, they may be a little more on gaurd to ensure that they don't fall into the pattern of rationalization and groupthink that seems to be the cause of most of the bigger attrocities.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

You may get shunned if you stop going to meetings but not (last time I checked) shot by a

firing squad or thrown into a concentration camp.

JWs do have a choice (whether you think you do or not) about whether they support this org.

The question is at what point is not making a choice, in fact actually making one.

• integ
    integ

Evil? Maybe without knowing it, but it's hard for me to look at some nice old lady who's been duped into this for 50 years and can hardly walk but still goes to all the meetings and out in service as "evil". The further you go up the chain of command the more "evil" it gets imo.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

The very same can be said for mormons, scientologists, muslims, hindus, buddhists, atheists.....It says nothing of whether it is true or not.

As for the individual members, I have never seen a judgmental or vindictive attitude towards them.here. It wouldn't make sense as we were once members and many people we love and miss remain members.

Going a little deeper, I respect and would defend with my all, the right for everytone to have free thoughts a free mind and opinions. This is very differe t ti respecting the opinion itself. Do not mistake lack of respect for an opinion, for lack of respect for a person or people.

Likewise I find it difficult when JW's and believers vocalise issues they have evidently read nothing about and reject data out of hand due to their world view. If I was to not care about that person, I may move on without a word spoken, not caring what they believe or have researched. However, I could out of considerstion pause to discuss the issue , for which some intepret as confrontational.

Sometimes it is a lose-lose scenario when personal belief is being discussed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit