NWT departure from greek meaning

by aintenoughwiskey 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• aintenoughwiskey
    aintenoughwiskey

The new JW library app includes the Kingdom Interlinear. Just by looking up the scriptures at the meeting when I went, revealed the following "departures" from the other translations:

Rev 5:10 "over the earth" vs "upon the earth"

completely changes the meeting

Luke 17:21 "kingdom of God is in your midst" vs "kingdom of god is within you"

Not what I would call accurate, and a departure from other translations. Anyone notice any similar departures from the greek?

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

A few years back I mentioned the Rev 5v10 blatant mis-translation to an active JW, he said he would consult his greek friend, who also knew N.T greek, and get back to me on that one.

Funny, he never got back to me. LOL

It is evident that many translators, and I am not sure we can glorify the WT with that title, I personally think they never really translated, they simply cobbled together their own version, but it is evident that actual translators are influenced by their own Theology/Christology to come up with the renderings that they do.

The WT have over the years argued in favour of their dodgy renderings in a reasonably able manner in many cases, even John 1v1, but have argued unsuccessfully, and often disingenuoosly in a good number of cases.

The Revised NWT is even worse, and now less honest, than the original, for example, they put brackets around some of their blatant interpolations in the original, they no longer do so, giving the impression that they have some Manuscript suppport for what they have printed, which is simply not true.

• designs
    designs

Most Protestant denominations and the RCC officially teach that the Saved return to this earth with Jesus and live here forever, yet if you ask most church goers they will say they will live in heaven forever.

Its a mess, its religion.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Even if we have a perfect translation of the very best Manuscripts, ( which in themselves are 3rd Century flawed copies of many copies of course) Bible based religions still have their own methods of exegesis, and will unashamedly use eisegesis to support their point of view.

I agree "Its a mess, its religion".

• Rufus T. Firefly
    Rufus T. Firefly

Revelation 7:15 - they (the great crowd) are rendering him sacred service day and night in his temple (na'os, literally "divine habitation"). Watch Tower claims the great crowd are in the outer courtyard, so the divine habitation must be outside of the temple sanctuary! See the subject "sanctuary" in the Insight book; also Luke 1:9,21.

• KateWild
    KateWild

Anyone notice any similar departures from the greek?- aintenoughwiskey

I don't speak Greek, but aparantly the NNWT has got many such dicrepencies. They word the scriptures to fit their doctrines.

Kate xx

• designs
    designs

I attended a funeral service for a friend at the Presbyterian church across the street from the old KH I attended. The pastor had Doug in heaven with his dog and fishing gear, camping by a stream, joined by family and friends.

Its religion....

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

While I agree that your point is very valid, NWT does "depart" from Greek meanings of words, and that it also departs from standard meanings that would be easily understood (like "generation"), I declare that most all religions will do similarly.

And your example is not all that far of a stretch.

From http://www.ucg.org/bible-faq/kingdom-god-within-you :
    The assumption that the Kingdom exists only in the hearts of believers is incorrect for several reasons. The Greek word entos, translated "within," is better translated "in the midst of" ( Vine's Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words, "Within"). Several translations, including the Revised Standard Version, Jerusalem Bible and New English Bible, make this clear. Jesus Christ could not have been telling the Pharisees that God's Kingdom was something that existed within their hearts or minds—after all, these were people who wanted to destroy Him ( Matthew:12:14 ; Mark:3:6 ).

(See also: http://www.letusreason.org/Biblexp47.htm)

How many variations of "the kingdom of god is within you" are there?

I believe that some teach that it means that such a kingdom doesn't exist except within the minds of believers.

My point is, be careful how you confront the teachings until you know who's teaching what.

My opinion is that the writer of Luke certainly wanted readers to understand that the embodiment of the kingdom was standing before the pharisees. (...or "in your midst.")

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

In regard to Rev 5:9, the preposition epi can have a spatial meaning (e.g. "on") or a relational meaning (e.g. "over"). The verse can be saying 'where' they are ruling, or it can be referring to their position as rulers, 'over.' In the latter case, they can rule "over" others regardless of where they are ruling from (either heaven or earth).

I would suspect that one's theology would be the determining factor.

Bobcat

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

Where is Leolaia when we need her?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit