NWT departure from greek meaning

by aintenoughwiskey 23 Replies latest watchtower bible

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Cant the Christians see how this GOD (ie Invisible Sky Fairy) is totally incapable of clearly communicating to all us sinners, how we are actually supposed to kiss his ass acceptably so we can be given salvation. Nobody who claims to worship this Sky Daddy can agree with everybody else.

It's all shite!!

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

Although it is tempting to point out NWT errors based on KIT literal renderings, one should be reminded that accurate translation of any document goes beyond basic meanings, word for word transmission.

Various interlinears have pointed out the dangers of rejecting modern translations based on them. Prepositions, for instance, have a lot of overlap, and the translator must ultimately use his/her understanding of the passage in question to properly convey the meaning into the target language. This explains why we have so many English translations...there are potentially various ways to interpret some biblical accounts, such as Revelation.

The NWT Revised Ed. renders the Greek words in KIT (Rev 20.4), "through [diá] the witness of Jesus and through [diá] the word of the God" as: "for the witness they gave about Jesus and for speaking about God."

The preposition diá with the accusative as it appears in the verse can have a spatial meaning, through, but more likely a meaning of cause: because of, on account of, for the sake of

Bible translator and commentatorRobert H. Gundry explains the clause as: "for testifying about the Testimony who is Jesus and preaching about the Word who is Jesus."

Barclay renders it: "because they had declared their faith in Jesus, and for the sake of the word of God."

Moffatt: "for the testimony of Jesus and God's word"

Goodspeed: "on account of the testimony of Jesus and the message of God"

An Understandable Version: "because they had testified about Jesus and [had proclaimed] the message of God" (Brackets are from translator)

Williams: "for bearing testimony to Jesus and for preaching the word of God"

Weymouth: "on account of the testimony that they had borne to Jesus and on account of God's Message"

NLT: "for their testimony about Jesus and for proclaiming the word of God"

CEB: " because they had told about Jesus and preached God’s message "

GNT: " because they had proclaimed the truth that Jesus revealed and the word of God "

Phillips: " for their witness to Jesus and for proclaiming the Word of God "

NLV: " because they told about Jesus and preached the Word of God "

CEB: " for their witness to Jesus and God’s word "

NWT: "for the witness they gave about Jesus and for speaking about God."

• Wonderment
    Wonderment

On a previous post (c. 18 months ago), I commented on Mt 24.39, "took no note."

Other translators and commentators have explained the phrase similarly. Check around.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

"I attended a funeral service for a friend at the Presbyterian church across the street from the old KH I attended. The pastor had Doug in heaven with his dog and fishing gear, camping by a stream, joined by family and friends.

Its religion...."

When my 65-year old neighbour died, the pastor in his funeral service stated that "in my Father's house there are many rooms", so that one room would be filled with Barbie dolls to play with, another one with electric model trains to play with, so my (MALE, 60-year old friend) could play for years with Barbie dolls, then for added years with model trains, and he would never run out of finding new rooms with exiting toys ................

Must have been comforting for his wife and children to hear .....................

Me? I felt ashamed at calling myself a Christian.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit