Be Honest: Were You Ever Jealous When Someone Was Appointed a Pioneer, MS or Elder?

by minimus 44 Replies latest jw friends

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I fell in love with the religion when I was 15. I got baptized when I was 16 and graduated a year early so I could get a head start on pioneering. I became I regular pioneer when I was 17.

Around that time a young man in the hall who was two or three years older than me decided he wanted to pioneer, too. He worked a full-time job and I barely saw him out in service. We would agree to meet early in the morning for service and he wouldn't show up. I had to go to his house to get him out of bed a few times. When the service year was at an end, I had to bust it to get my 1,000 hours in. Lo and behold somehow this other guy had already finished his time for the year a month ahead of time. I also knew that he liked to go partying with other young JWs and hit up the nightclubs. He often missed meetings...you get the picture.

After that first year was up he was appointed ministerial servant and I was passed over. Apparently I was too young. It took everything I had not to walk out of the kingdom hall when the announcement was made. Within a year or two he had been reproved for having sex with a married woman.

Thankfully, by that point I had seen too many inconsistencies in the religion and my zeal had begun to wane. I still stuck around for a few more years, but l'm glad I didn't get appointed. It would have made it harder to fade.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Not really. Being raised by a elder I kind felt sorry for them. But back then most the elders I knew was a bunch of old hard nose men. I never tried to become a MS or elder but they kept appointing me. One time I even tried to not get appointed when I move to a new area but the CO put an end to that. It's like buying a boat. The happiest day is when you buy it and sell it. The happiest day for me was when I was appointed and the day I step down. Now all I have is happy days no more stressed out days dealing with the Wt. Happy feet, happy feet, happy feet. Still Totallly ADD

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Not really. I never wanted the responsibility that went along with being an Elder or MS. I definitely never wanted to give public talks.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

I, as a lowly girl/woman, could never aspire to such a lofty position such as mic handling, or ringing the bell for the school overseer. Elder? fagetaboutit! My father and both husbands were "used" as overseers. Throuout my nearly 60 yrs in the borg I saw countless cringeworthy appointments so like Blondie, I wasn't that impressed. Nepotism reigns supreme which is why totally ADD couldn't KEEP from being appointed and neverendingjourney was passed over. That, and the fact that if a Bro. seems like he will be better at the job than the ones doing the appointing, no one wants to hire their replacement or one who makes them look bad. (No disrespect totally ADD, I'm sure you were simply "walking the walk") Oh, and jealous of pioneer? Are you kidding me? It's the worst job there is!

• All for show
    All for show

Usually, I feel irritated, because I know all the butt kissing they did to get there. Any of our friends that got appointed turned in to robots. I think most reach out for the title, but the few sincere ones, realize their treading against the current And get burned out. We come to meeting when we want, leave at the half, never pioneer, hardly ever do service and feel the servants look down on us (from shepherding calls and conversation, we know were labeled weak) however, I am pretty sure they are jealous that we do what's best for our family and they wish they Had the balls to do the same. Having a title and the ego come at a price :)

I remind my hubby at least we have our education, good jobs, happy family, and live well....so 3.5 hours out of the week we are treated As though we are worthless. At least in the 'world' we are respected. Isn't that pathetic we feel that way, as Gods loving people?!

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I wanna get rid of the "title"!!

• minimus
    minimus

I was 24 when I was appointed as an elder. I was a kid telling grow ups how to raise their kids although I was only married 3 years and had a 2 yr.old baby! I knew some who thought that I was wonderful, the youngest elder ever appointed in the district and up and coming. Others though, didn't like the fact that a young guy had all this authority and was going places, theocraticlly. When I was appointed, a few years later as the presiding overseer, a certain group of people clearly resented it. In all honesty, the entire "servant arrangement" is faulty, to say the least.

• millie210
    millie210

Being a lowly woman I didnt have to worry about being appointed to much.

Being the wife of an elder, I did hand out sympathy cards to the wives of new elders.

We always had a good laugh over it. Some had an idea what they were in for - others not so much.

• millie210
    millie210

minimus that is really young.

You must have a lot of presence that they wanted to tap in to.

I feel for you. So much pressure while you were so young.

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Wow, 24, I don't think I've heard of an appointment that young before.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit