Accounts of Jesus From Hostile Ancient Sources

by Perry 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• designs
    designs

Perry- Show us some skills as a critic, deconstruct this author's points.

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

If Jesus existed (just kidding), he was an insignificant, illiterate, itinerant preacher with a tiny following, who went wholly unnoticed by any literate person in Judaea.

It is very implausible, for instance, that a biography would be written for the obscure itinerant philosopher Demonax in his own lifetime (by Lucian), yet god incarnate (or the son of god), who riled up all Judaea with talk, should inspire nothing like it until decades after his death. Funny, don't you think?

• tresdecu
    tresdecu

@ Yaddayadda2 - I love this:

"Have you ever noticed how miracles only happened in the very ancient past and will only happen again in the future?

They never happen right now. Never.

Funny that."

~YY2

• shadow
    shadow

An insignificant, illiterate, itinerant preacher with a tiny following, who went wholly unnoticed by any literate person in Judaea somehow started a religion that changed the world.

Funny, don't you think?

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

"An insignificant, illiterate, itinerant preacher with a tiny following, who went wholly unnoticed by any literate person in Judaea somehow started a religion that changed the world." - shadow

Yes, it is funny and if you practice Buddhism, Candomblé, Hinduism, Islam, Jainism, Judaism, Paganism, Santeria, Shinto or Sikhism among others. Your world hasn't change a bit.

Still funny, still no evidence.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

The story of Fatima is true, just ask the little children who saw her.

lol...But wait, didn't our Lady of Fatima told them 3 secrets that prove it's all real? Hmm let's see:

1st secret: A great sea of fire which seemed to be under the earth full of demons and souls. Same type of cryptic garbage that nobody understands just like revelation.

2nd secret: That WWI would end and a second world war would begin. Secret was told to the public in 1941!!! thanks for nothing...

3rd secret: That christians would be persecuted and that there would be an assassination attempt on Pope John Paul. Secret was revealed to the public in 1983, 2 years after the assassination attempt. Thanks for nothing!!

• Viviane
    Viviane

An insignificant, illiterate, itinerant preacher with a tiny following, who went wholly unnoticed by any literate person in Judaea somehow started a religion that changed the world.

Jesus didn't start any religion as far as I can tell.

• bohm
    bohm

shadow:

Yes, it is indeed very interesting. I am just now listening to a podcast on the first world war; did you know that the assasination attempt on Franz Ferdinand first failed and it was only by a series of coincidences the would-be assasin later that day came near Ferdinand when his car accidently stalled outside the bar where the assasin was eating a sandwhich? We could aks the same question: how did an insignificant serbian nationalist who desided to eat a sandwhich somehow cause WW1 and WW2?

Jesus started a small religion like so many others; then by wild coincidences, and because the historical circumstances was correct, that religion grew (and changed properly beyond all recognition!) to take over the remains of the roman empire and here we are today.

• designs
    designs

Jesus appointed 12 Bishops.....

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

It is precisely b/c of the pain of the WT lies that I personally require more rigorous sourcing before I believe, Perry. One can believe without this sourcing. Your statements remind me of Fox News. There is bias. I am not attacking your belief. Many of require harder proof. I am no longer a child.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit