Up yours!!! Jw religion!!

by Julia Orwell 45 Replies latest jw friends

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

I just got a job teaching in a school run by moderate Muslims. The students are Muslim and do their prayers at school and have daily Quran lessons. My job is to teach Art, English literacy and literature, and History. I have 19 students aged 12-14 and will get paid well to teach them. I am nervous because I've had some bad experiences teaching but I feel it's liberating to say, "Screw jws, I'm workin for Babylon!!"

NB. This school is not a terrorist school. It is for Muslim children whose parents want to preserve tradition yet learn the Australian way. The school aims to create a nurturing community.

• jhine
    jhine

Good news Julia , let' s hope that this job works out well for you .

Jan

• quellycatface
    quellycatface

Sounds a lovely job Jules. Good for you.

It is a shame that a few nutters have tainted Islam. Same as the IRA did for Catholics in the UK.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Agreed. I say ISIS is no more representative of Islam than the KKK is of Christianity.

• prologos
    prologos

Do you look good in a headscarf? I commend you! free-thinking teachers tiptoed around the Nazi pitfalls in my youth. Things are in Flux and Islam is bigger than WT-New Jersey,

take care, Julia.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

i don't have to wear the hijab.We teach the Australian curriculum, but still one must be sensitive to cultural proprieties no matter what the school.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Prayers and DAILY Quran lessons?! That nonsense should remain in the mosques and madrassas, it has NO place in a school. Do you think for a moment that Australian imams would allow evolutionary biologists to teach young children after Friday prayers in the mosque? That you think this school is a good thing is indicative of how far religious damage has spread.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

You obviously don't know much about our education system. Even religious schools can't not teach certain things. We have a national curriculum. Christian schools teach the bible and Muslim schools teach the Quran. State-run schools don't teach any holy book. This school is about people having a choice of where to send their kids. As far as I'm concerned, I don't teach Muslims or Mormons or Christians or Jws or Buddhists, I teach students. Students! That the girls wear little hijabs is not my business. A job is a job, a student is a student and the curriculum is the curriculum whatever my religious views.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

You're right, I don't know much about the Australian education system but that you can say - "Even religious schools can't not teach certain things" - without seeing the obvious says it all. There should not BE religious schools! Apologies for mobile phone formatting.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

We have religious schools because the religions start their own schools and that's fair enough if they can get people to go to them. And they do, they are quite popular. They are still bound by the laws of the state and federal education departments though, and have the same assessments and standards.

'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit