Spiritual AMNESTY -- Return to Jehovah

by FusionTheism 40 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

My wife and I simply faded on our own and have never been in any kind of "elder" trouble but I know that if we showed up at a new Kingdom Hall and started attending again, they'd want to know what the name of our former Hall and they'd call our former Elders and get our "file" and get the" Low Down" on us and they'd hear someone else's version of our leaving JW story. They are very suspicious by nature and a bit paranoid about new ones. They have long memories and everybody knows everybody and elders wives know more than they are supposed to.

I've been to Kingdom Halls in entire different countries and have met people who were related to or knew the same people I did and who are quite ready to talk about them. There's no such thing as a fresh start or a "do over" with JW's...someone will always be looking at you with knowing eyes.

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

WTWizard,

There was New Light in a Watchtower a few years ago. Saying that likely the only "unforgivable sin" today is choosing not to repent.

Watchtower, July 15, 2007:

"if we are deeply grieved over a sin we have committed, it is very likely that we are truly repentant."

Watchtower, May 15, 2010:

"But what if we have erred seriously? If we have repented and have been helped by the elders, we can conclude that God has forgiven us and that we have not sinned against the holy spirit."

• warehouse
    warehouse

Fusion, the fact that this could be a new direction is a possibility. Unfortunately, at the point where the rubber meets the road, ie. the elders and co's, the tendencies and thought/decision making processes will take years to catch up.

So even if the gb for some illogical reason wanted to relax and invite people back, it would take tons of prodding and convincing to undo decades of indoctrination. There are a lot of elders and co's who view themselves as the Phinehases of the org. If people have to die, oh well, at least the cong is "clean", and they simultaneously feel righteous in their own eyes.

Often times on this forum, people hesitate to accept a new direction or viewpoints taken by the elite ruling class of jws because they know first hand that the drill sgts of the r&f will drop and fumble and make things more difficult than need be.

• steve2
    steve2

Never underestimate the human propensity for (soft-coated) cruelty in the sanctified name of religion - or the angry self-righteousness of people who use "niceness" as their tool of persuasion.

The local Witnesses' reasoning will be as follows:

This is the perfect provision from Jehovah God for stepping up shunning for if this "loving" and "kindly" arrangement does not move you to repent and return to the meetings, you provide proof we were correct to shun you in the first place.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

It claims it doesn't matter what sins you've done, or what caused you to leave, if you repent to Jehovah and ask the Elders to help you, and return to the Meetings, you'll be warmly welcomed with no disciplinary action or judgment against you.

Fund$ must be getting lower that we thought !

• menrov
    menrov

More people that they believe want to return means more $$$$$

In their view it is always a win.

• kaik
    kaik
    So, the WT attempts to impose another cultish outreach to people who are out, but still partially in the WT. Amnesty can be defined as a pardon for offense, so the WT wants to say that we are the offenders, and they will forgive us! How loving.
  • cultBgone
    cultBgone

Funny how those still in cannot seem to grasp the very simple fact that we left because we realized it's a bunch of hooey...not because we "sinned" (as if there is any such thing). We are not miserable and aching to return, for that would be like a dog returning to its vomit. We are simply happy to be rid of the oppressive cult strings that once tied our hands and brains and choked our real selves almost to death.

Life outside is a breath of fresh, beautiful, life-sustaining air for which we are all most grateful.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

I live by the motto that "You catch more flies with honey" and "A positive change is always good, even if many negative things remain."

Why should we want to attract flies?

I've learned over the past decade that being kind, civil, friendly is much more persuasive than beating someone over the head and condemning their core beliefs.

Like kindly pointing out that we're mentally diseased? Why should they want someone who is diseased back into their religion? After all we might spread the disease.

It is my hope that some people in the Bethel Headquarters may see some of my suggestions and take them to heart.

Like the old saying goes, "The shit rolls downhill." People in Bethel do not have any control over the society's policies. Only the Governing Body does.

With that said, there are absolutely things that have been done wrong, are being done wrong, and need to be addressed immediately before the Society can be considered something besides a cult.

The organization does not make mistakes, it is a mistake.

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism
    Does anyone on this site actually follow what the Home Page says about "friendly and tolerant?" Just curious?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit