Leaving the JWs, experiencing Christianity and finding freedom! (But it took awhile)

by im_free 99 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• im_free
    im_free

Hi all. This is my first post here.

I was raised in "The Truth", and am an ex-Bethelite who worked in Brooklyn for several years back in the 90's. A few years after I left Bethel, I started to become disillusioned after doing research about the society and reading Crisis of Conscience (I know..I wasn't supposed to do that lol). I eventually stopped attending meetings and going out in service. Somehow I was able to avoid getting DFed by moving my publisher's card around a couple of times due to moving. It's crazy but I kind of fell through the cracks. I think my status is technically "inactive" at this time. All of my friends are probably wondering whatever happened to me. It's been about 10 years now since I've faded.

I initially went through a really dark and confusing, isolated period of time that lasted several years. I thought I was losing my mind. It was rough to say the least. I was free but i wasn't completely FREE, if that makes any sense. At this point I was completely turned off by organized religion in general and thought it was all mind control. i didn't know what to believe in anymore. I felt physically liberated from all of the rules, meetings, field service, etc but I still felt like I was in a mental prison because there were too many questions now that needed to be answered.

In the past couple of years I've decided to read the Bible straight through, in context, independantly. When I was done, there was so much in there that I never knew before even though I've been reading it my whole life. The problem before was I was reading it out of context as a JW.

I've come to the conclusion that God is not some big man in the sky who is keeping score. He is out there but he also lives within us. He does not want religion. He just wants a relationship with his children until he returns. It's not about organizations or denominations. We have it all wrong when we try to institutionalize it all. Jesus is the central figure in the Bible. It all points to him. Jesus is Jehovah in human form and not a separate lesser entity as I was always taught. The father, son and holy spirit is not some 3 headed freakish trinity God but it is different aspects of a triune God. One God, 3 aspects with different attributes. He came in a diminished form as a human to die for us. He is not judgemental. We are saved through his grace and not by works. There is so much more that I can't mention all here.

I just want to share our crazy experience and where this has all ended up. My wife has also been along for the ride. I can't even describe what this feels like. Our outlook on life and how we view people and things is very different than it used to be. The truth (not "The Truth ® ") shall set you free!

Now I am wondering, is there anyone else here that has had this experience?

Thanks for reading!

• cofty
    cofty

Welcome. Its great to hear you and your wife are on this journey together.

I was a christian for almost a decade after leaving the Watchtower. I can relate to the excitement of seeing things so differently for the first time.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

Great news!!! But just be careful not to trade one fairy-tale belief system for another one almost as outlandish. Magical thinking may be comfortable and reassuring, but just believing in something doesn't make it true in the real world. Jesus and God exist in the only place they can exist, in our imagination. But, best of luck on your spiritual journey. Keep us updated.

• im_free
    im_free

Thanks!

cofty, you say you were a christian for almost a decade after you left the JWs. I'm curious, what belief do you have now?

navytown, i'm also curious, after you left the JW's, did you immediately become atheist or did you end up with other beliefs which progressively led to where you are now?

• cofty
    cofty

Hi im_free - I am now an atheist. To be more accurate I am committed to a rational, evidence-based worldview.

Losing belief in god was just one part of that bigger picture.

The OP this epic thread will tell you a bit about how I got from born-again to atheist...

• Londo111
    Londo111

im_free: Welcome!

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

I'm Free: I bounced around a lot after leaving the Witnessed. I have pretty much given up on having any belief system that purports to explain everything. Not having all the answers is an OK place to be. I agree about religions....they are just pre-packaged sets of beliefs that people are expected to buy into. No thanks. I think there is more to life and the Universe than we can know,but I don't think religion has the answer to it. I try to steer clear of engaging in Magical Thinking.....comforting fairy-tales that someone just dreamed up. What happens after death should not be our main concern. What happens, happens. The important thing is to come up to Present Time and live life fully NOW, making the most of the time we are alive. My advice is to research ALL faith traditions, not just Christianity. Then you will have a wider view of things.

• Kalos
    Kalos

Welcome im_free!

Religion is for the kids. Once you grow up, be a good man—useful for yourself and others, and live in the NOW, like a dancer becoming the dance!

In one of the ancient languages, the word for soul is atma (combination of a negative prefix a + tamo which means darkness), when put together it means: you are not darkness, but light. Hence live up to your nature: always light up your faces and others’ faces—that’s all what is required for a meaningful life which will bring more and more shades of freedom!

• GreenhornChristian
    GreenhornChristian

Thanks for sharing your story. I tried the Christian thing after leaving. now I can't accept the bible as scripture.

• Ding
    Ding

Welcome!!!

Glad to hear that you escaped the WT and that your wife come with you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit