Kid charged over $500 to a game

by skeeter1 34 Replies latest social family

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

PARENTS, listen up (and yes, I know this is NOT the popular answer) --

You can store your credit card info to use with your iTunes account, but as a parent you should NEVER give your underage child YOUR PASSWORD to that iTunes account. When YOU share your password, YOU are opening the account up for that child's use and it is YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to control its use, not the responsibility of the credit card company and certainly not iTunes' responsibility.

Change the iTunes password. Do not give your child any of your passwords for any reason.

We as PARENTS must set the example of RESPONSIBILITY, not blaming others for our poor decisions leading up to bad consequences. Children do not have good judgment in financial matters, that's why they are not allowed to sign contracts. Did the daughter make poor financial decisions? Absolutely. But that is why we have to teach them about finances before we give them access to finances. This girl obviously can do math and knew she was spending funds, but unless she stole your password to get into the account or breached an agreement with you to never purchase anything in iTunes...she actually had permission to do what she did.

• trillaz
    trillaz

So does a single game purchase of KK Jewels cost $500?

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

cultbgone - it is not that simple - the default positon on an i-phone mean that if the child is playing a game on the phone they can make in game purchases withput yyour password unless you set the security settings to require a password for any in-game purshases. Similarly the default setting is that for 15 seconds after a pruchase is made another pruchase can be made without needing the password unless you change the settings to prevent this. These games are targetted at children, are free to download but have ridiculously expensive in-game features which make no sense from a value point of view - it is ambush marketing which is misleading and deceptive.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

No, the charges are $10, $15, $60 a pop, that I've seen. I didn't like the Kardashians before, and now I am totally NOT a fan.

• j dubb
    j dubb

I swear we live in a society of some sort of mass hysteria that anyone thinks its normal for a 13 year old to have a smartphone or $100 sneakers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit