Kid charged over $500 to a game

by skeeter1 34 Replies latest social family

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Thats a funny story..

Its like saying you gave your kid the keys to a Candy/Icecream store and they ate all the inventory..LOL!!..

The kid would be the last one I`d blame..LOL!!..

You got some good advice,ask for a refund..

Explain to your daughter $500.00 is a lot of money..

Let her off the hook with a talking to..

A lot of bad decisions were made by adults,before she entered the Picture..LOL!!..

............................http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab110/GeneralWaco/mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

Yes, grownup mistake too. Like Adam blamed on Eve, this is really my spouse's fault. Spouse's old Apple phone went to her, and the Itunes account on it had the CC# on it stored. I am so old school, I don't know how to even turn on the Apple phone.

But, daughter admits to KNOW she was charging it. She remembered the charge for $59.98 to buy more "jewels" for the game. She remembered saying "yes" to all the $9.98 & $14.98 charges. She has an good grade in Algebra. She can definately add. She said, "I couldn't stop myself."

Everyone made fun of me for my old style, almost flip phone. I don't have a fancy, smart cell phone. But, the government can't track how I walk and I can't store my CC information on it. I can't play games on it. It would die.

Definately like the idea of also making her work for a living. Tonight, she earns $7.50 towards her debt by washing out the garbage cans & cleaning the family truck inside and out. Every day, a BIG chore.

Yes, I am disputing the charges. But, even if I win, she still has the restrictions. Also, like the idea of taking off their allowance for bad behavior and making them buy their own toys. I am goign to talk to spouse tomorrow night to see how we can implement it.

• Simon
    Simon

Its like saying you gave your kid the keys to a Candy/Icecream store and they ate all the inventory..LOL!!..

That reminds me of the time we were on vacation with my sister and her family. We went into a pick'n'mix candy store and my nephew took one of the bags and went off. My brother-in-law went mad when he came back to the checkout and the bag was literally to the bim, packed solid and couldn't be closed.

Of course he couldn't go and put things back so my BIL had to pay for the HUGE bad of candy and was seething. It was hillarious.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I would say its worth a try to contact you credit card company and explain that the charge was not by you the card holder, but by your daughter

and maybe mention the word (theft) that may open a legal factor to the situation and may end in canceling the amount or at least a good portion

of it.

Its certainly worth a try.

If you can show to the credit card company that it wasn't you the legal card holder to whom the card is issued to

who made those charges then that might open the door a little.

Credit card companies at times will show some leniency on a charge placed on the card.

Of course this depends on the company itself.

Visa from a large noted bank are usually are a little more pliable in this regard.

• RobertT18
    RobertT18

@skeeter I know you want your daughter to learn a lesson but you can also call the CC company and say that you didn't authorized those charges which is the truth and request a chargeback, I'm sure you can get your money back.

Edit: Some family member used my MasterCard on the Xbox Marketplace and bought two games without my permission which was around $170 and I called the CC company and it took a week for them to reverse the transactions.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

This is going back to the 90s, but we got a phone bill with about $500 in 1-900 sex line calls. The phone company refused to reimburse us.

Then we found out my husband's brother had done it when we went out of town. My husband threatened to take it out of him in blood. It's the only time I have had to physically hold him back. I got between him and his brother while his brother's GF screamed at us to get off of their property.

I have not seen that side of him in 20 years and had never seen it before. Something about unauthorized charges makes people go crazy...

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Pardon me if someone has asked this already, but why does your child have access to your credit card or info?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Scratch this comment.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I'd put her to work and have her pay the fine with cash. She can baby sit, offer friends and family house cleaning chores, etc. to pay the bill herself. Don't cancel the bill. Cancel her allowance and have her pay the bill. She will never learn about how credit can ruin her life if she doesn't know how not fun it is to pay the credit bills.

Kids are in their formative years. They are inexperienced and they are going to make mistakes in judgment. Here is a grand opportunity to teach her the reality of buying on credit and repaying it. Don't let her play that game until she has paid the $500 in full.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

These types of games are structured to make it impossible to continue playing without purchasing more pieces to work with,

so once you cant move to the higher levels, your already addicted to the game and you want to continuing on.

Theses games look innocent at first but there is much talk about their addictive attributes of these games.

I know of a couple of adults who started to play games like Candy Crush and they ended up spending hundreds of dollars just to continue on with the game

toward its completion.

It was noted in the media that the game Candy Crush made at one point 1 million dollars a day for the developers and owners.

Some of these addicted people were children using their parent's credit cards to purchase extra lives in the game.

Since these extra lives cost just $2, its doesn't seem like much at first, but there is addictive quality to these games and the developers know this.

When your playing the game on a smart phone or Tablet you are asked if you would like to purchase more playing items, if the phone or tablet is connected to

Itunes and its set a certain way, all the person has to do is click YES and the game continues.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit