Kid charged over $500 to a game

by skeeter1 34 Replies latest social family

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

This Kim Kardashian game has a "Click" to it, but said the dollar amount. Definately, a teaching moment.

Well, she cleaned the garbage cans, and washed my car inside and out tonight for an hour. . Then, a neighbor brought over his car and she washed it. He gave her $20! So, she's paying off her debt. She may even have a babysitting gig out of it.

• Scully
    Scully

Hey Skeeter,

Several years ago, my then-13-year-old found a loophole to the long-distance block I'd placed on her cell phone. She racked up over $600 worth of charges in one month.

I called the cell phone company, livid with them that there was a loophole that circumvented my expressed limits on the account. The agent I spoke to about refunding the charges made some snarky remark attempting to put the blame on me. I lost my $h!t on the guy, and he finally apologized for criticizing my parenting. I had done my due diligence in adding restrictions to the service and it was up to the company to ensure that my expressed wishes were carried out.

As it turned out, the company was not aware that the loophole existed, and when they tested the sequence of steps my kid had used to work around the block, they realized there was the potential for a lot of people to abuse the loophole and circumvent an oversight in their programming. In the end, they were happier to refund one customer (me!) "before [my kid] announced to all her friends [and they to their friends] what the glitch was and all your parents have to do is complain to the cell phone company and get a refund."

That was one of the fastest fixes I've ever seen done by a cell phone provider.

• ozbrad
  • dazed but not confused
    dazed but not confused

My 5 year old did the same thing on an old apple device we didn’t use anymore. I didn’t know the cc info was on the device. It was charged only around $40.00. We contacted iTunes and told them our 5 year old didn’t have permission to make charges. They refunded us the money. We changed all of our device’s settings since then.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

Minors can not enter into a contract.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Minors can not enter into a contract.

Exactly! I would be on the phone with the credit card company.

• Badfish
  • FadeToGrey
    FadeToGrey

I don't use or have my credit card details linked to my iTunes accoun.

I use a prepay card to to up the balance if and when it gets low

That way no big amount can Be racked up. By wife or child.

• KateWild
    KateWild

This is all unscrupulous trading. Glad to see lawsuits being brought against these companies

Kate xx

• Frazzled UBM
    Frazzled UBM

skeeter1 - I had the same problem with my son on my wife's iphone and a Turbo game. I rang I-tunes straight away and todl them they were facilitating misleading and deceptive conduct manipulaitng children as the game was targetted at children. The guy said to me - well for next time you can adjust the security settings so your son can't do that. I said no your don't understand me either you accept right now that the charges are cancelled or I iwll be complaining to BBC Consumer Watch. He cancelled the charges immediately. This is an appalling scam. Get angry and ring Itunes - they dread bad publicity so use this to your advantage. Frazzled

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit