What christians don't want to admit

by opusdei1972 64 Replies latest watchtower bible

• galaxie
    galaxie

Thank you jgnat,, you have genuine honesty.

Best wishes.

• prologos
    prologos

" --refuses to act--" " too weak to act--" might not be the only choices; --how about,

Never intended to act? It is "--very good--" the way is it,

take it or leave it? believe it or not?

• jhine
    jhine

Hi , jgnat , are you guys all transatlantic to me in UK ? I always seem to be hours behind the last post !! I too admire your honesty jgnat and if I am honest , then yes of course, sometimes I have doubts . All Christians do at times .

I do not hold to an inerrant

bible to bolster my faith , rather the other way round I suppose . When confronted with innacuracies or contradictions I felt that there had to be an answer . No , I have not been able to look into every instance cited , but my research found that there are answers , certainly to the problems with the OT and I know that other Christians who felt the same way have looked into these things in more detail and are confident certainly of OT accuracy .

I expect that you are aware of the different levels of understanding that Jewish scholars have of the OT . The first level is P'shat Level . I quote here from a Jewish website -

" The P'shat level is the plain sense of the text . What does it actually say . Every word , phrase and thought has a meaning , there is no word that is redundant or idle . Even if it appears to be , it is not .It is filled with meaning for us to learn "

So Jewish scholars who study the the word of Yahew very intently find no problem with inaccuracies or anything else . Those that read it in it's original language recognise it's authority .

I take your point about the NT and I notice that others have made comment on the NT . Something for me to look at .

For me faith in God and Jesus go hand in hand with belief in the Bible , one compliments the other . Certainly there is much discussion to be had about what is literal and what is not , and discussion is good .

Jan

• Laika
    Laika

The eastern orthodox church has never believed in the doctrine of 'original sin'

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

jgnat - "This is where those who insist on an inerrant bible to bolster their faith in God get in trouble. Prove the bible fallible, and down goes God, too."

Fundamentalism's "Achilles' Heel".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit