The Blatant SEXISM of Watchtower!

by Island Man 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Island Man
    Island Man

From my Yahoo Answers question here:

"The bible says of Deborah:

"Now Deborah, a prophetess, the wife of Lappidoth, was judging Israel at that time. 5 She used to sit under the palm tree of Deborah between Ramah and Bethel in the hill country of Ephraim; and the sons of Israel came up to her for judgment." - Judges 4:4,5 NASB

The text explicitly shows that Deborah the prophetess was a judge. But note what the Watchtower publication 'Insight on the Scriptures vol. 2' page 135 says as part of its summary of the contents of the bible book of Judges:

"The section running from chapter 3, verse 7, to the end of chapter 16 is, basically, in chronological order and relates the activities of 12 judges (not including Deborah), starting with Othniel and concluding with Samson."

Watchtower makes it a point to say, in parentheses, that Deborah is not included or not to be included in the list of judges. Watchtower also says this:

"In the days of Israel's judges, one woman who had God's backing was the prophetess Deborah. She encouraged Judge Barak and played a part in helping the Israelites to rid themselves of oppression, ..." - The Watchtower, August 15. 2014 page 8 par. 12

Why is Watchtower stealing Deborah's title as a judge of Israel and giving it to Barak when the bible never calls Barak a judge? Barak was a warrior who was sent for by Judge Deborah - he was Judge Deborah's instrument, not the other way around!

Why is Watchtower contradicting the bible?

All JW sisters: when you have your Watchtower study this week (week of September 29 - October 5, 2014) are you going to bravely raise your hand when paragraph 12 is being discussed and mention that Deborah was actually a Judge according to what Judges 4:4,5 says? Or are you going to cowardly keep quiet and give tacit support to the unscriptural and sexist Watchtower view that Deborah was not a judge?

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Oh, that's interesting. The Society refuses to believe that a woman would have been a judge.

• designs
    designs

Gawd forbid a JW women should be a MS or Elder.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

Great point, Island Man. If I could stomach going to a meeting, it would be fun to stir up the hornet's nest with your suggested comment!

However, I'm afraid i would look like so hopefully we'll hear some good stories from fading sisters who still attend.

• losingit
    losingit

I freaking hate the sexism in the WT. So happy Im out of that denigrating n demeaning cult!

• millie210
    millie210

So they obviously know this is wrong and are doing it anyway for the purpose of sexism?

Is there any other plausible explanation?

I googled but it seems there is widespread agreement on Deborah being a judge.

Interesting.

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
  • DaleRivers
    DaleRivers

Why am I not surprised at this?

• Pookigirle
    Pookigirle

HEHEHEHEHE........always want to go back to the hall and raise my hand (not df, so could, right??) and watch them swirm. I would LOVE to answer this question!!!.......hmmmm, perhaps we will schedule it in *wink*

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

@Pookigirle... Wow. I guess you like this thread! You signed up 1 1/2 years ago and tonight is your first post. Welcome to JWN.

LL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit