7 Reasons Why “Babylon the Great” was Jerusalem

by Tiresias 74 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Tiresias
    Tiresias

Hello All,

Authors David Chilton (1987) and James Stuart Russell (1878) propose that the Revelation is primarily a Prophecy of the destruction of ancient Jerusalem by the Roman armies. The Revelation is Jerusalem's Armageddon (mountain of assembled Roman troops). I see the Revelation as a war siren warning the First Century Christians of the imminent destruction of the city. They were to "come out of her"--or become complicit in her crimes against the prophets--and pre-eminently--against the Messiah. I welcome discussion on the following.

*7 Reasons Why “Babylon the Great” was Jerusalem.

1. Jerusalem is described as a “harlot.”

Throughout the Bible, Israel is regarded as God’s Wife; the covenant is a marriage bond, and she is expected to be faithful to it. Her apostasy from God is called adultery, and she is identified as a harlot. There are numerous examples of this in the prophets: “How the faithful city has become a harlot, she who was full of justice! Righteousness once lodged in her, but now murderers.” (Isa. 1:21), and “You have lain down as a harlot” (Jer. 2:20).

2) Jerusalem sat on “many waters.”

Jerusalem exercised a mighty influence upon ‘peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.’ Synagogues were to be found in every city. Acts 2 exemplifies her influence:

“There were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men, out of every nation under heaven, . . . Parthians, and Medes, and Elamites, and the dwellers in Mesopotamia, and in Judea, and Cappadocia, in Pontus, and Asia, Phrygia, and Pamphylia, in Egypt, and in the parts of Libya about Cyrene, and strangers of Rome, Jews and proselytes, Cretes and Arabians.”

3) Jerusalem committed “fornication” with the “kings of the land.”

This very phrase is used in the restricted sense of ‘the rulers of the land,’ by Peter in Acts 4: 26, 27, ‘Of a truth against your holy servant Jesus, whom you did anoint, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, with the Nations, and the people of Israel were gathered together in this city.’ The ‘kings of the land,’ therefore, are identified by the apostle Peter as the coalition of rulers who put the Son of God to death in the city of Jerusalem.

4) Jerusalem’s “sins” ascended to the heavens.

Rev. 17:26 states: ‘I beheld the woman drunk with the blood of the holy ones, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus’; Rev. 18:24 states ‘And in her was found the blood of the prophets, and of the holy ones, and of all that were slain in the land.’ Jerusalem was pre-eminently the ‘murderer of the prophets’ (Mt.23:35). Vengeance was visited upon her. Hence, Rev.18:20 ‘Rejoice over her, all you in heaven, and you holy apostles and prophets, for God has avenged you on her.’

5) Jerusalem was completely destroyed by the “wild beast.”

The Romans were animated by a bitter hostility to Jerusalem, the harlot city: ‘These shall hate the harlot, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire. For God put into their heart to fulfill his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled’ (Rev. xvii. 16, 17).

"Tacitus speaks of the bitter animosity with which the Arab auxiliaries of Titus were filled against the Jews, and we have a fearful proof of the intense hatred felt towards the Jews by the neighbouring nations in the wholesale massacres of that unhappy people perpetrated in may great cities just before the outbreak of the war. The whole Jewish population of Caesarea were massacred in one day. In Syria every city was divided into two camps, Jews and Syrians. In Scythopolis upwards of thirteen thousand Jews were butchered; in Ascalon, Ptolemais, and Tyre, similar atrocities took place. But in Alexandria the carnage of the Jewish inhabitants exceeded all the other massacres. The whole Jewish quarter was deluged with blood, and fifty thousand corpses lay in ghastly heaps in the streets."

6) Jerusalem amassed great wealth.

Mariners and merchants stand at a distance from the Royal City and declare, ‘What city is like unto this great city?’

'More than once the Jewish historian Josephus speaks of the magnificence and vast wealth of Jerusalem. It is very remarkable that the inventory of the spoils taken from the treasury of the temple contains almost every one of the articles enumerated in this lamentation over the fallen city,---‘Gold, silver, precious stones, purple, scarlet, cinnamon, odours, ointments, and frankincense.’

'No less striking is the description given by Josephus of the spoils of the captured city, which were carried in procession through the streets of Rome in the triumph of Vespasian and Titus, and which fully justify the picture of profusion and magnificence drawn in the Revelation.'

7) Jerusalem’s destruction was vengeance for the murder of the Messiah.

Chilton calls the Revelation God's "covenant lawsuit" with Israel. Rev. 5:6,9 speaks of "a Lamb as if slain" by the Sanhedrin. The apostle John recorded the trial and judgment of Jesus. It is appropriate that the apostle John depict the trial and judgment of the Jewish Establishment via the Revelation.

I heartily recommend the following books, both of which are free online:

"Days of Vengeance"--David Chilton (1987)

"The Parousia"--James Stuart Russell (1878)

http://www.preteristarchive.com

*the comments in this post are excerpted from Chilton and Russell.

T

• designs
    designs

Anti-Semitism's exponents...nice job snicker

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Are you saying that the Jewish Bible promotes Anti-Semitism?

• Chris Tann
    Chris Tann

I agree completely with this evaluation Tire. Nice job!

• Tiresias
    Tiresias

Hello All,

Many thanks Chris.

As I state on my web site:

• The entire Bible [Genesis to Revelation] was written by and for the ancient Israelites exclusively. The Bible has no application to "Gentiles."
    • "Christianity" was a First Century development that completed Judaism.
    • "Christianity" and Judaism passed away in the First Century C.E.
    • The "nations" who accepted "Christianity" were actually Israelites from among the "nations," as the Apostle Paul's synagogue circuit, recorded in the Acts of Apostles, confirms.
    • The Hebrew prophets--including Jesus--were the conscience of ancient Israel. They spoke to power to discipline power.
    • The "world" Jesus was sent to save was Israel.

The Bible is a chronicle of conflict between dissidents [a.k.a. "prophets," and pre-eminently, Jesus] and the Establishment they opposed. As such, it eloquently illustrates the timeless struggle for freedom and justice. I don't consider Jesus "anti-Semitic" for condemning the abuses of the Jewish Establishment any more than I would consider someone "anti-American" for decrying injustice by a given administration. I do see an unwavering tension/conflict between Jesus and the Judean Establishment. I would even call his so-called "triumphal entry" into Jerusalem a street demonstration. Everything Jesus said and did was an indictment of the Sanhedrin. When I read the Bible in that radical context it makes more sense.

In the Revelation I perceive a very focused divine rage, a veritable Niagara of wrath, directed, not at a nebulous "world empire of false religion," but against a covenant-breaking, Messiah-murdering Establishment. As Jesus foretold, “When you see Jerusalem being surrounded by armies, you will know that its desolation is near. 21Then let those who are in Judea flee to the mountains, let those in the city get out, and let those in the country not enter the city. 22For this is the time of punishment in fulfillment of all that has been written. There will be great distress in the land and wrath against this people."

With all due respect, the Abrahamic optic brings much more of the Bible into focus for me than the Narcissistic optic I formerly utilized.

Bye for now!

T

• Pterist
    Pterist

Some bible scholars call the book of revelation, the tale of two cities....old Jerusalem (Babylon) the whore versus new Jerusalem...the bride

• designs
    designs

V- the NT is basically a cut the Jews off at the knees diatribe. From Jesus telling them their 'house is abandoned to you' to Paul's- Replacement theology.

When did Jesus or Paul ever stand up for the Jews and point the finger at the Roman Empire.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

D: Never mind the New Testament. By Jewish Bible, I'm referring to the scriptures accepted by religious Jews.

T: Your OP was excellent. Your subsequent post was not. Paul was an apostle to the ....

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Gaaawwd!

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

well that could be true but also many think Rome is the city talked about stating many similarities, one thing to note is the book of Revelations was most likely written after the desruction of Jerusalem in 70 ad.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit