Spiritually strong people don't care what others think of them.

by hoser 34 Replies latest jw friends

• hoser
    hoser

Jesus is a good example of this.

• prologos
    prologos

what others think of you, is none of your business. vs "let your progress be known to all"

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

I completely disagree with your premise. I think mature people DO care what others think, especially people close to themselves, those that they love and care for, and they carefully take it into consideration.

Not caring what others think is a hallmark trait of antisocial behavior, sociopaths and psychopaths.

On the other hand, mature people do not let others control them or dictate their every decision. They think for themselves.

So, for example, while I cared what others thought when I decided to pursue a college degree, I didn't let their small-minded, blind obedience to the WT leadership prevent me from pursing my personal goals.

• 4thgen
    4thgen

Mother Teresa didn't care what others thought.....and I don't belive she had ' antisocial behavior' or was a 'sociopath and psychopath'. She makes a lot of sense, in my book...

Do it Anyway

"People are often unreasonable, irrational, and self-centered.

Forgive them anyway.

If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives.

Be kind anyway.

If you are successful, you will win some unfaithful friends and some genuine enemies.

Succeed anyway.

If you are honest and sincere people may deceive you.

Be honest and sincere anyway.

What you spend years creating, others could destroy overnight.

Create anyway.

If you find serenity and happiness, some may be jealous.

Be happy anyway.

The good you do today, will often be forgotten.

Do good anyway.

Give the best you have, and it will never be enough.

Give your best anyway.

In the final analysis, it is between you and God.

It was never between you and them anyway.

-this version is credited to Mother Teresa"

• Comatose
    Comatose

Mother Teresa was a cruel torturing idiot.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Comatose: Mother Teresa was a cruel torturing idiot.

Can you explain why you say this?

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

4thgen, I'm not really sure how to respond to your post.

It seems like you didn't understand the point of mine.

I never suggested Mother Teresa was a psychopath. I didn't even mention her name. It's kind of bizarre that you would infer what you did from what I wrote.

In fact, what you posted agrees with what I said, mature, strong individuals take other's feelings and concerns into consideration but do what they believe to be right even if it contradicts or conflicts with what others think.

That being said, according to what you quoted, Mother Teresa WAS concerned about one person's opinion: God's.

Although, for most of her life she openly doubted his existence.

• Comatose
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

Comatose, thanks for the link. I'll read it.

It sounds like MT imitated her god.

• 4thgen
    4thgen

O- Your comment that "Not caring what others think is a hallmark trait of antisocial behavior, sociopaths and psychopaths" although it maybe true in the clinical sense; it puts down people that are so self assured and do not care what others think of them. It read like you a are lumping self assured pople into the category of being psychopaths. I mentioned Mother Teresa because I like her saying. I cannot vouch for her personally, becuase I did not know her. I am sure that others can find dirt on her. That is not my point. I agree totally what she wrote about 'doing it anyway'. Strong minded, self assured people are not interested in being popular. That does not make them sociopaths.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit