I phones...I dont understand it?

by new hope and happiness 40 Replies latest jw experiences

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Is it worth queing two weeks for a phone? I mean why que two weeks for something we already have a phone?

• Caedes
    Caedes

You mean to tell me there is nothing in your life you are passionate about? I can't say I would ever queue up for a phone but I have camped out overnight to get tickets for a festival. I have sat on the computer waiting for gig tickets to go on sale. Other people might think that was a waste of time too. Perhaps some people spend a lot of time doing their garden or doing up an old car or knitting or painting. Some people spend a lot of time drinking and smoking, what makes one leisure activity acceptable and another not?

• Jeannette
    Jeannette

Anything beats wasting time going out in service.

• lurkernomore
    lurkernomore

I'm a die hard Samsung/Android man myself... just throwing it out there, no debate necessary from the inevitable Apple's Witnesses ; )

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Well caedes i am kind of passionate about " PUSSY" Cats.

A quick and true joke: When i was a little boy the milkman knocked at my door and said:-

" tell your mum i have seen her pussy".

I hoped he meant our missing cat Thomas!!

Back on topic, being passionate about things can break up marriages. My love for T.V westerns from the 1960's has tested my marriage. Still not sure what id give up?

• DwainBowman
    DwainBowman

I built my first computer from a kit I ordered from Popular Science. I stayed up nights building it. Thousands of tiny connection, lots of eye strain. It did very little. First packaged computer was a Trash 80 (TRS 80) from Radio Shack, Then a Timex Sinclar, next a Digital, then an early Apple. The thing all of these had in common, the word computer in the name. If you worked on them back in those days, there were at least a dozen or more brands, different hardware, OS, and software. I had dealings with most if these companies. Apple was the most arrogant, self important org, I ever had dealing with, outside of the WtBorg. I met Steve Jobs sevral times at tech events, he was worse, than his tech and hardware people. I HATE all things APPLE!

I like Android phones and tablets.

But since MS has got its act together, and put out a very good OS, and Nokia (Now MS) has put out some very good phones, plus many others compines are as well. I have 2 Win phones, and I am going to get a new Win Tablet this fall!

But when all is said and done, the best of all of them, is the one YOU like best!

Dwain

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

One would have to admit that standing in line for a couple of days just to get a phone is a bit weird, its not like its

a absolute personal necessity, such as food, shelter or money.

The people standing in line already have a phone and are using while they are there.

Standing in line just to get a tool that is just slightly better that the one you already own and perhaps brag

that you possess the latest and newest shines full of egotism/narcissism.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Trash 80 (TRS 80)

Our first as well.

Wrote many a TMS talk on that thing.

WOW! I'm old. Lost most of those years to promises unfulfilled.

Doc

• dmouse
    dmouse

I queued all night once at a new carpet store which was just opening with special offers.

Not at all passionate about carpets but the first 10 people through the door next day got 50% off their order.

As we had just moved into our first home and pennies were tight it enabled us to carpet the whole house instead of just 1 or 2 rooms.

It was an interesting experience. I still remember the night well, met some good people in that queue and we had a great time!

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Our first family computer circa 1981 or so was a Texas Instruments TI-99. This was followed by a Commodore 64. Never had Apple products at home, but my elementary school had a "computer lab" that was filled with Apple IIe's. They worked flawlessly, and put my home computers to shame.

Today, my son's school is filled with iMac's with 24" screens. Every teacher is given an iPhone and Macbook air. Starting in 9th grade, students are assigned iPads, and these follow the student thru their high school career. They hand them back into the school at the end of each year. Homework is saved on their iClouds or google docs.

- Wing Commander

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit