poll, why would you hide it your buisness/job

by sowhatnow 21 Replies latest jw experiences

• sowhatnow
    sowhatnow

how many people on here who were or are Jws, owned or ran a buisness who would not willingly let people at the k hall know, maybe to avoid feeling like you had to give your fellow brothers and sisters a discount, or free help, or out of fear of being judged. did you only help out the pioneers? and not the poor ones?

for example, if someone was a hair stylist, in the cong i left, shed never ever consider offering the poor sisters or brothers in the hall a free or discounted, haircut. and some of them really needed a haircut. or would you cut a pioneers hair?

or a brother who owns a car lot wouldnt help one of the poor ones find a real cheap car ,

or someone who i know was a mechanic yet always expected to be paid , so the poor ones never asked even for so much for a tire to be changed.

where was all the help that we were supposed to be doing for each other. i was a housecleaner, and id get asked or id offer, to clean elderly sister or ill sister or brother so n so's house becasue of illness or something, and i never got paid nor did i expect to. but i find out later who owned what and I d think geeze, the ones I knew who could have been helped and wasnt!

jusy curious

• Simon
    Simon

Ha, that always reminds me of the times at the KH when someone who never spoke to you suddenly tried to make conversation and couldn't ... there would be a long pause as you could tell they were trying to think of something to say and then they'd come out with it:

"so ... I bought a computer ... would you like to come round and help me set it up?"

If you did go round to help them they viewed it as a chance for you to 'do your hobby'. I remember being asked to install Microsoft Office and when I asked where their install CD was they said "well, erm ... don't you have one?". So, apparently they expected me to supply their software lienses too!

NOTE: I had some friends in the KH that I helped sort out their computers and these are NOT the people I'm talking about (in case they ever read this). I'm talking about the people who never had anything to do with you otherwise.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Simon - I always try to make it out like what I do is just so different from normal IT stuff that I wouldn't possibly be any help to them.

Seriously, these people expect me to make house calls? I guess to be fair, most of them are so destitute from placing all their trust in a cult's predictions that they couldn't hope to afford my services if I were to charge them...

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The jokehovian witlesses are communists. Let them know you have a business, they will hog your resources and expect free or discounted services. This takes away from your regular business, often to the point of impairing service to regular customers. Then, if you mess up in the religion, they are able to boycott your business after driving away regular customers by swamping you (usually with reduced price service demands). And, if you start treating other jokehovians the way you treat regular customers, they will simply bog down your business with bogus requests or start a boycott on you. Usually, going out of business is the result.

For the same reason I do not advise letting the hounders know you have food, silver or gold, batteries, or other supplies on hand, I do not recommend letting any jokehovian witlesses know you have a business that they can hog or demand special treatment.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

It was best to not let people know what you did. Never made a nickle off JWs. Never had a loan repaid by JWs or WTBTS. Gave jobs to quite a few who were broke.

• Da.Furious
    Da.Furious

When i was starting my computers business, hardware and software, i did the mistake of informing few brothers. And that was it for me, everyone in the congregation expected me to install or fix stuff free of charge. The method was inviting me for dinner, at the time i started wondering why the sudden love, and half way through dinner the request will be fired in a sneaky way: I have done everything but struggled with the last bit, appreciate if you can just advise me after dinner how should i continue.

Business closed, but now i am the congregation free consultant on the latest gadgets and i don’t even get a thank you!

Comparing them to my colleagues at work, at least i get a beer, thank you card or small gift.

Da Furious

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Funny, when I was a high school teacher no jws asked me to help their kids with assignments or tutor them...shows that the free stuff expectation doesn't apply to important things.

• blondie
    blondie

I wonder if the elders suggest that a brother with a landscaping business mow and landscape the KH property. Or the brother with the cleaning company clean the KH?

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

Julia- you need to remember that schoolteachers fill little heads with lies like evolution, science, clear thinking, and other dangerous stuff. Male teachers? What kind of sick pervert would WANT to work with kids. Must be a pedo...

• Caedes
    Caedes

WTwizard,

Your negativity towards individual witnesses never ceases to amaze me. You sound like you are deliberately trying to makes ex-JWs look like petulant idiots. I wouldn't want active JWs to see your posts since you embody all the negativity that the WTBS try to tar all ex-JWs with.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit