A few questions for believers

by keyser soze 48 Replies latest jw friends

• MadGiant
    MadGiant

"MadGiant, if you actually read the pages you linked to, you'd learn the following:" -

My friend, the idea (and you will find similar examples every-time I posted a link) is variety of material. You can think whatever you want, but the followers of Jesus incorporating elements from early myths and legends, not vice-versa. It's not even an original story. Deal with it!!!!

Ismael

• Pterist
    Pterist

OP says ***many believers invariably claim that they don't base their faith in Christ on what's written in the bible .. So what is the basis then, if not scripture? ***

I found this interesting, I hope this helps...." strip of revelation and end up with Deism"

One of the cornerstone ideas of the Enlightenment was to give every idea and assumption the test of reason. When they applied reason to religion they found it necessary to strip it of revelation and they ended up with Deism. Deism is belief in God based on reason and nature. The differing alleged revelations of the various revealed religions are conspicuously absent from Deism. It is a natural religion as opposed to a revealed religion such as Christianity, Judaism, or Islam.

----

i wake up a deist every morning in my cranky old man state and gradually give way to a higher power(Christ) to escape my devils within, which makes me more bearable to those around me ;)

http://www.deism.com/deistamerica.htm

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Your thread title might have been: Questions for Bible believers.

Actually, it was intended for those who don't believe in the bible, but still identify themselves as Christian. But your point is duly noted. I just don't see how Christianity can exist without it. If the bible isn't the inerrant word of God, than Jesus was just a regular guy with an entourage, if he existed at all.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Hope this helps.

It didn't. The question is how does God reveal himself, and how do you know it isn't simply confirmation bias on your part. Nothing you stated addressed that.

If you think we have a right to life, then MUCH of what God has done will appear wrong.

No, it appears wrong if you believe he created us in his image and instilled in us a moral code.

• cofty
    cofty

Christianity attacks our perceived goodness - Perry

Yes it does. It is a dehumanising cult that destroys people's sense of self-worth.

Teaching children that they are broken or sinful or worthless and in need of a saviour is emotional child abuse.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Essentially we are under condemnation from the womb. If you think we have a right to life, then MUCH of what God has done will appear wrong.

Too silly for words.

As for the CARM apologist site Perry posted a link to: the few paragraphs devoted to Divine Command Theory, one of the biggest philosophical obstacles to honest belief in the Bible, are pathetic, like something written by a 14 year old.

An antidote: http://www.christianitydisproved.com/bible/robert-g-ingersoll-on-the-bible.html

• Laika
    Laika

If the bible isn't the inerrant word of God, than Jesus was just a regular guy with an entourage, if he existed at all.

Hi Keyser, I don't follow this point, isn't this a bit of a stretch? If there are errors in Josephus writings' does it follow that everything in it is therefore made up?

• jhine
    jhine

On another thread someone posted a list of inconsitencies in the Bible and I picked 2 at random and with just a little research found that in those cases there was no inconsistency . Atheists do use this argument a lot but do not seem to be willing to do the research for themselves to find the truth of the matter . The links that Perry has put will deal with many of these seeming contradictions .

If you do not believe that is up to you and as I have said before I am not here to try to convert anyone , but please if you are basing your unbelief on these old chestnuts do yourself a favour and do the work to find the facts . (Here I am tempted to say is this a hangover from the JW days when research was frowned upon , but clearly not because much research seems to have gone into other topics ) .

As to Christianity destroying a person's self confidence or feeling of self worth , maybe that point of view does come from Watchtower teaching because it seems to me that they push the earn your salvation type of religion and constantly seem to be saying to people "you are not good enough , you must do more " . My faith tells me that I am very precious in my maker's eyes and the opinion of anyone else does not matter . I do not even compare myself with other Christians , they have their path to follow . Yes, I have my faults from my sinful human nature but it is evident in everyone that no one is perfect, we ALL have our weaknesses and problems . If we are honest , just from a human standpoint , we must all admit that we are not perfect and no shame in that .

Jan

• opusdei1972
    opusdei1972

The Lord Yahweh has revealed his Word in the Old Testament. However, archaeologists, and scholars have noticed that there are pretty lies there. So, we can't trust in the Lord Yahweh, because if he exists, he is a liar.

• Laika
    Laika

Hi Jan, the bible does include inconsistent stories. You could start with Genesis 1 and 2 which present somewhat different creation stories.

Biblical inerrancy makes it impossible to just read the bible.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit