Brave Ex Elder sues over defamation over fraud claims.

by Slidin Fast 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

This looks interesting, this guy is bringing the right to family life into his case. Many have thought of doing this. maybe a good test case.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/jehovahs-witness-sues-for-150000-after-church-snubbed-him-over-fraud-claims-9750062.html

A former Jehovah’s Witness is suing the UK branch of the religion and a London congregation leader for more than £150,000 after allegedly being ostracised following a business dispute.

Frank Otuo, 43, is suing the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Britain and an elder of its Wimbledon congregation, Jonathan Morley, for defamation, saying he has been “disfellowshipped” over allegations of fraud he says are untrue.

As a life-long worshipper Mr Otuo, a property developer from Putney, claims he has lost hundreds of friends from within the tight-knit religious community.

A member of the Wimbledon congregation for 20 years, he also claims the move has violated his right to a family life because relatives who belong to the faith, including his ailing mother living abroad, are effectively barred from speaking to him.

According to papers lodged at the High Court, seen by the Standard, Mr Otuo claims to have suffered “near irreparable damage to his reputation, emotions, physical and psychological” and “extreme shunning by friends and family.”

The papers add: “My three young children [aged seven to 14] are finding it extremely difficult to cope with the fact that their dad has been ostracised by the only community they have ever known since birth.

“This is in addition to the spiritual harm and mental distress caused to me as a direct consequence of the action.

“I have lost all my friends who were only Jehovah’s Witnesses as they are not allowed to speak to me lest they face the same fate.

“The worship and faith was in essence everything my family and I lived for.

“It was our lives and everything else revolved around it. I am not allowed to have any spiritual association with my own wife and children [who still attend meetings].”

The business spat is said to have erupted in July 2012.

An unhappy creditor is said to have complained about Mr Otuo to congregation elders, who set up a committee and later booted out the father-of-three.

The court claim said Mr Otuo “vigorously denies the allegation of fraud and has consistently maintained his innocence”.

A court hearing is set for October 30.

Mr Morley declined to comment.

A Watchtower spokesman said it would defend the action.

• Londo111
    Londo111

I wish him well.

Fight the power!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

All power to his elbow.......

The WTS are known for having their legal systems pretty watertight, but we live in changing times re human rights and right to family life. It only takes one successful test case to open the floodgates.

He must be sure of his ground on the fraud issue ..Give 'em hell, Frank Otuo !

NB ) Wimbledon again ! Jookbeard used to know the Wimbledon Cong..Perhaps he will shed some light on this

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Considering the number of stories on this site about shady or lax JW business dealings, I wouldn't rush to this guy's defense without knowing the facts. I'm sure a lot of you know Witnesses you wish were disfellowshipped for their business practices.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Considering the number of stories on this site about shady or lax JW business dealings, I wouldn't rush to this guy's defense without knowing the facts. I'm sure a lot of you know Witnesses you wish were disfellowshipped for their business practices.

From what I've read about people's experience on JCs, the fact that he was disfellowshiped is probably the best evidence of his innocence.

While I mean that mostly tounge-in-cheek, there may be something to it...if he was an elder and guilty, he probably would've played things strategically and managed to stay in. If he was innocent, he probably would've kept pushing back against the BOE, and the BOE would circle the wagons and boot him.

• sparky1
    sparky1

This story takes me back to the early 70's when a nice, unassuming and loving older Elder refused to pay PART of a bill (I think it was around $35.00 to $40.00) for work that was done on his home. He had disputed the workmanship and the materials used on his home.The 'worldly' fellow that did the work complained to the Presiding Overseer about the matter and he TOOK the older Elder to this mans place of business and made him pay for his work in full. He said it was important to pay the bill even if you are in the right so as not to bring 'dishonor' to Jehovahs name. Fast forward about 4 years and the Presiding Overseer now owns a mechanized firewood processing plant. He went into business with a young brother in the hall that had a small family and put his whole life savings into the business venture. In a very short time, the business failed and the Presiding Overseer declared bankruptcy. Needless to say the other brother that he was in business with became 'stumbled' and left the 'truth'. The Presiding Overseer is still active to this day and was used extensively on Circuit and District Assembly programs and as a temporary Circuit Overseer. I hope that the disfellowshipped man has all his business records in order and is in the right! If he is right than he should sue EVERYONE possible so as to restore his good name.

• sir82
    sir82

Worth watching.

If nothing else, it puts the wacky, most cult-like aspect of the WTS on public display, in a bright spotlight.

• cofty
    cofty

I wish him well but it is very expensive to sue for defamation in the High Court.

• hoser
    hoser

I wonder if the unhappy creditor was one of jehovahs witnesses?

I have seen too some crazy stuff with business between jw's

thats why I refuse to deal with jw's too much trouble.

if something goes sideways they go crying to the elders

been there, done that

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

OneEyedJoe - "If he was innocent, he probably would've kept pushing back against the BOE, and the BOE would circle the wagons and boot him."

Yup.

You don't get DFed for being "guilty" per se, but you do get DFed for - among other things - defying the JC.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit