Do the Governing Body believe their own teachings or know it's a lie? Are they atheists?

by BucketShopBill 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• garyneal
    garyneal

Knowing it's b.s. and arriving at not believing in God would be a huge jump. It is possible that I have overstated above- perhaps their reeducation convinces some that Jehovah is using the other 11 guys (or whatever number they are/were on) and that the single member doesn't quite feel the Holy Spirit the way the others say they do, but is still afraid to say so. In that case, the same result- he stays quiet and casts his votes and shares his opinions based on what seems best for the salvation of the organization.

Gee, for a second there I could not tell if I was reading an opinion of the GB or the Emporer's New Clothes fairy tale! To paraphrase, it sounds like no one wants to say that the emporer has no clothes Watchtower Society is not spirit directed.

I would imagine there are some among the GB that long for the old days of warm fuzzy ignorance to the reality of running a major corporation.

In other words, they've seen the man behind the curtain and pine for the days when the wizard is a wizard who will serve Jehovah is guiding the faithful slave.

To give my two cents, I suppose that if they still believe then they believe that God is helping them make their decisions. Much like leaders of a church or a small Christian group at a college (like I was a part of) they probably think that if they 'prayerfully' consider their choices (and I bet they do pray before their meeting starts) then Jehovah will work it out. Even when things mess up they probably believe that Jehovah will work it out somehow. Confirmation bias I'm sure but no different than leaders of other churches. Of course, there maybe those who secretly do not believe in either the doctrines or the Bible but they may just be going through the motions or even hoping God will reveal all things in due time though there may be some 'atheist in the pulpit' also or even some charlatans.

• garyneal
    garyneal

What kind of teacher is Jesus when his words and ideas can be taken in so many ways. Why would he do that when, supposedly, everything is riding on "doing it right".

That is an excellent question. I would be interested in the answer to that one myself.

• garyneal
    garyneal

You can come to believe the craziest things in the world if you surround yourself solely with individuals who are never allowed to disagree with you.

like the emporer who had no clothes on

Ha, you beat me to it hoser.

• prologos
    prologos

perhaps they believe in the system, not the current details. I think of them as

a team of horses at the Calgary Stampede's Chuck-wagon race, (Simon's & jgnat's home turf)

Their pulling furiously together, but would be much happier racing off alone into the wilds, if food would be there

and a mare.

or three. to form their very own religion.

At least one of them really could,-- and loved the idea --- to go off on a tangent,

Their individual religions would be fervently believed by them too, and just as weird than what they have inherited from WT and are forced to believe now.

• Magnum
    Magnum
    fulano: They don't have money nor spend excessive amounts.

Phizzy: They don't have money, they don't need it. Laundry done, Housework done, Healthcare all paid for, Vehicle paid for, travel paid for, all meals paid for, 5 star accommodation, plus they pick up the same allowance as ordinary Bethel folk, at a minimum.

Very like old style Rockstars, no money in their pocket or their persoanl bank account, but a Billionaire life-style.

I was thinking exactly what Phizzy wrote. Where else in the world would these guys live like they do and have the adoration they have? They might not have the cash in their pockets, but, as Phizzy said, they don't need it. Truth is, though, they probably do have cash. There is no telling how many green handshakes they get from their worshippers.

OnTheWayOut: I believe most every one of them sees through that b.s. but does not necessarily think the other GB members see it the way he does. In other words, each member knows much or all of it is b.s. but won't say so because he isn't sure the others see it that way. He then stays quiet and casts his votes and shares his opinions based on what seems best for the salvation of the organization.

I've thought that same thing for a while. Sort of like the story The Emperor's New Clothes. Something happened at work recently that illustrates this concept. I noticed a while ago that a guy on my team is an a$$-kissing trouble-maker, but I thought everybody else liked him, so I didn't say anything. Well, recently, I was with two of the other guys on the team. Somebody happened to make a small remark about the guy, and that was all it took. The floodgates opened. All three of us hated him and thought he was a jerk, but we were afraid to speak up because we thought something was wrong with us and that the others liked him.

• Crazyguy
    Crazyguy

Their Idiots and yes they believe it all just like most of the elders in your local KH. Blind leading the blind..

• fulano
    fulano

@ Magum and Phizzy:

By no means I want to defend them but the laundry having done, the cleaning having done, the cooking having done, the shoe repair having done, that is the same situation for all Bethelites. Of course they get nice and kind handshakes. When we got at congregatiions around Brooklyn as missionaries, telling our experiences at meetings, we sometimes had 2 or 3 hundred $ in our pocket, we found that a lot of money at that time, for what? Who is guilty? Who says no? On the other hand, who works at the age of 75, 80,85 still 44 Hours or more a week and gets up at 6:30 A.M In Europe and USA?

What I want to say, and not more than that, they don't do it for the cash nor life, it is not fun working and living at headquarter or branches, forget it.

• sd-7
    sd-7

It is possible they believe it, but abundantly clear they do not believe all of it. If they did, they would never see a need to change any teachings. The fact they do indicates that they don't believe all of it. They have their own opinions about certain issues, and if they can convince the rest of the GB, then it becomes doctrine and gets printed.

It is also clear that certain changes are consciously made for specific practical reasons, and this too suggests that they do not entirely believe it, but are nonetheless willing to use it to maintain the illusion of the all-knowing 'organization'/all-knowing 'faithful slave'.

--sd-7

• Magnum
    Magnum

sd-7: It is also clear that certain changes are consciously made for specific practical reasons, and this too suggests that they do not entirely believe it

I agree. I believe the FDS=GB change was made for a practical reason - to shut up the rest of the partakers who were voicing their opinions, complaining, being a nuisance, etc. They actually had a right to some input since the GB was merely supposed to be the spokesman for all the anointed. I believe the GB started looking for a way to shut up the non-GB anointed, and that's what brought about the change in doctrine. The non-GB anointed now have no more power than a prepubescent microhone carrier.

That tells me they couldn't have fully believed the old doctrine - not if they looked for a way to change it just for a practical reason.

• HowTheBibleWasCreated
    HowTheBibleWasCreated

The GB are deluded figureheads,

Thw writing and reaseach commite are atheists!

I know this because in the creator book and bible go'd word or man's they misquoated aor quoate-mined sentances from knowledgable books hundreds of times. Take Carl Sagen's quote or Richard Dawkins quotes in the Creation book 1985... both out of context and quoate-mined.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit