Powerful photo

by zakharijah 39 Replies latest jw friends

• zakharijah
    zakharijah

Hi,

I just stumbled upon this photo on Facebook (pic by David J. M. Coleman), and as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words...

• steve2
    steve2

...and revealing on so many levels.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

The guy is sitting on some Watchtowers!!!

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

The organisation does absolutely zilch humanitarian work and zilch charitable work to generally help the sick, poor, needy, dying in the community. Occasionally they put in a token effort in times of disaster to help their own.

In fact, the greedy, money-loving Watchtower Society actively discourages JW's from donating to charities, saying their kingdom preaching work is the real life-saving cause that JW's should be donating to.

Deplorable.

Is the Watchtower like Jesus, who told a follower to sell all his belongings and give to the poor; or more like the Pharisees, who convinced adherents it was more important to donate to the temple than do some kind deed (Mark 7:11)?

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

Yup you are correct they do put forth token effort in times of disaster and then they ask for the insurance cheque.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

I'm surprised the homeless guy didn't take all the literature ...

... to serve as insulation for his cardboard box shelter.

• zakharijah
    zakharijah

When I was a young JW I would give tracts to homeless people, never money or anything else. I remember being told by my book study overseer that we should only give money or even food to those who deserved it as, otherwise, it would be encouraging their laziness. I was told giving spiritual food was the way to go because material food could only provide a temporary relief...

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Well with respect who is to say :That the begger was not given money by the witnesses? But more to the point why should those witnesses give money? It's not easy goving money to beggers on the street, it really is a question of caution.

I saw a similar incident where i live and to me it was ovbiouse the sister only gave money to impress the elder that was with her.It should be noted the commune had given the organised beggers money to return home to their land, which they took and then returned.

• 88JM
    88JM

Can't quite remember his name, but I definitely recognize the brother on the left from parts on assemblies and conventions here. I'm sure he's given a few talks or been chairman. Greenock congregation I guess, going by the Facebook photographer...

• zakharijah
    zakharijah

I was in the Greenock cong and I don't know him. He does remind me of a brother from Stevenston though.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit