by punkofnice 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Oub - "Why do you stay?"

....and they will never answer, 'because we're deluded.'

but it would be nice if they did.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Mr Flipper - Punk throws Flipper a fish. You are of course right. The elders are totally deluded by the WBT$ 'mind cleansing(TM)'.

• haboob48
    haboob48

PUNK-No words of wisdom here but just wanted to add......An anecdote is NOT an antidote. I agree with bohm and to stick to reality, with no house fires or iron lungs or divine hands.......her/his problems are the here and now. Just saying.....

hb48

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

haboob - An anecdote is NOT an antidote.

I like that one. I hope I remember it.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

The bible says that "For My yoke is easy and My burden is light", so clearly Jesus did not intend for his disciples to suffer. While the bible does say in Hebrews 11:2 "not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another", It doesn't say such gathering had to be in a certain place or time, rather as Matthew 18:20 says "wherever two or more are gathered together". Since I am meeting here today with you brothers, is that not assembling together, therefore I am following the bible's command?

Further, I follow the counsel at 2 Corinthians, "For each one must do as he resolves in his heart, for God loves a cheerful giver". Now, if I were to attend the meetings while unwell, how can I be cheerful? And if my doctor finds out that I went against his orders because you brothers told me I must, would that not bring reproach upon Jehovah? Doing more than my health allows could mean I would get worse and be totally unable to carry out my Christian duties. Currently, I can listen in to the meetings, do personal study, even give a witness to people I come into contact with. If I were to get worse I couldn't do any of that. These are the things I prayerfully considered, so I am sure you brothers appreciate that, as a Christian, I must follow my conscience in the matter.

I do so appreciate you brothers coming here to encourage me, and I certainly know you mean well, but I am concerned that, for to others who are sick like me, your visit might be the only contact they have with their fellow witnesses, so your words might be seen as being harsh and critical. Of course I know you don't mean it that way, but others might not know that, and they may even be stumbled, I am sure you wouldn't want that. Rather, I am sure you would want to follow the command at Ephesians 4:2 that says, "be kind to one another".

I am sorry to cut our visit short but I must go lay down now. *thinks to self: Don't let the door hit your butt on the way out*

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Lisa - Very nicely put.

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I think the false equivalence in the burning building analogy is that if a building is on fire, you'd want to exit it, but they are asking him / her to enter a building, the KH.

It's simply that stupid an analogy.

So, yes, the KH is afire with death-dealing false doctrines, so the thing to do is run or crawl for the exits as fast as you can!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

My friend has been ill and unable to attend anyway.

So...instead of commending, he beats her over the head with counsel in an attempt to make her feel guilty ! These "elders" are rubbish at their jobs.

Still, this makes me confess . To my shame now , I recall telling the cong. in one of those innumerable Service Meeting items , that it was " a sin to miss the meetings" I then read Hebrews 10.25 from the NEB which says:

" 25 not abandoning our own meetings, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging each other, and even more so because you see the day drawing near."

Hmm. poor deluded fool that I was. I believed what I said It is a pity that this elder had not noticed the "encouraging" word in there..

• jam
    jam

JW's and their analogies, LOL. A good analogy are weighed by their

ability to help us understand an idea, not so much to make

a zinger or just to make a witty comment...

• exwhyzee
    exwhyzee

If we were in a house and it was on fire and we couldn’t walk we would have to crawl.

Of course we would but we are not in a house on fire. The figurative house you are referring to has been smouldering for thousands of years. We are talking about someone who is not feeling well enough to attend the meetings all the time.

A n example of a sister with an iron lung was brought up to show that if she’s in this condition, we need to examine ourselves.

The sister may have ended up in an iron lung because she foolishly attended meetings even though she had serious health issues.

My friend apparently needs to pray for Holeeeeee Spirit to give the 'power beyond what is normal'.

No Kingdom Hall would ever be damaged during a storm or earthquake, no Witness would ever be killed while out in service, no witness would ever have a valid reason to miss a meeting,no Witness would ever fail under trial if the Holy Spirit was literally that available.

Going to meetings is not optional but a command. (I have to say I've never heard of it being a 'command' to attend).

Where does the Bible say that it is mandatory to attend a Watchtower study? If Meetings are so important, why don't they have them every night so people have even more opportunities to attend ? Instead, they get rid of the Book Study which we were often scolded from the platform for not attending enough.

We need to look at a divine hand in our life. Eldurr said that he shouldn’t be alive. In so many situations he can see God's hand in his life.

It's easy to say God is directing your life and to attribute ones successes to God when things are mostly going your way. If that Elder gets seriously sick or loses his job or his kids leave the organization, does it mean that God isn't helping him anymore.? You can't have it both ways. If good things happen to you because of God, then it's his fault when bad things happen to you as well. Who says God isn't giving me strength and that I wouldn't be worse off if he weren't already helping me? What about all those JW's who have serious problems to face daily? Has God abandoned them and is helping you instead? What makes you so special? What about all those successful Non JW's who have wonderful lives and are accomplishing remarkable things that benefit millions of people, an who also claim God's hand is directing thier lives?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit