How would you answer?

by punkofnice 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

A friend of mine (who is waking up), recently had the elders do a sheep herding visit.

They were browbeating my friend about attending meetings. My friend has been ill and unable to attend anyway.

What response would you give to this garbage?

If we were in a house and it was on fire and we couldn’t walk we would have to crawl.

A n example of a sister with an iron lung was brought up to show that if she’s in this condition, we need to examine ourselves.

My friend apparently needs to pray for Holeeeeee Spirit to give the 'power beyond what is normal'.

Going to meetings is not optional but a command. (I have to say I've never heard of it being a 'command' to attend).

We need to look at a divine hand in our life. Eldurr said that he shouldn’t be alive. In so many situations he can see God's hand in his life.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

Well, your friend is the one allowing this situation to continue. Why is she putting up with the Elders guilt-tripping her and asking intrusive questions? First of all, she needs to tell them she wants no more visits from them. If need be, she can use the excuse that she's unwell or depressed. Tell the Elders if they continue pestering her: 'I really am not up to having further discussions. I will contact you if I need anything from you'. End of story. So get your friend to see that SHE has the power to make the Elders go away. Just refuse to be bullied any longer. I wish her the best.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

NT - Ah, if only it were that simple. There are more factors involved. I can't reveal these without compromising my friend's ID.

Anyhoo, what makes you think it's a she my old chucckie egg?

My question was more around how to argue against the logical fallacies and propaganda.

• Zoos
    Zoos

"Where's the fire? Oh... the fire is right around the corner, just a whisper away."

"I DO pray for holy spirit and I HAVE been granted the power beyond what is normal to preserve my relationship with God without the help of men."

• Heaven
    Heaven

"Thank you for your concern but you don't need to worry about me. Jehovah knows my heart condition. "

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Zoos - Yes. Just ''around the corner(TM)''....''soon(TM)''............Must ''do more(TM)''.

Heaven - Boy, that would dent their sense of self importance.

If we were in a house and it was on fire and we couldn’t walk we would have to crawl.

here seems to be a logical fallacy here that I can't spot.

An example of a sister with an iron lung was brought up to show that if she’s in this condition, we need to examine ourselves.

This is an appeal to something or other??

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy

The elder feels that God saved him personally, that otherwise he wouldn't be alive? I'd ask him if he thought it was down to prayer that God acted in his behalf. If so, then does he think the 26 witnesses that were sheltering IN A KINGDOM HALL in the Philippines when the tsunami hit, were praying? Cos they all perished. Why would God answer his prayer but not theirs?

And according to witness theology god has handed the world over to satan to see if he can do a better job and to answer the question raised in job's time about serving only cos God has put a hedge around his worshippers.

So how COULD God Possibly act in ANY way without scuppering that arrangement?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

DHoH - Good reply.

Reminds me of the Lillelid family tragedy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lillelid_murders

• prologos
    prologos

The elders perhaps did not get the irony that in a house fire, the only breathable air is in the crawlspace, close to the floor, and the only way to suvive is to LAY LOW and leave, in other word be a fader. so:

I would heartily agree with them, on their insight, and leave them puzzled.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Prologos - Super comeback.

The whole thing about 'drag yourselves to the meetings(TM)' is very controlling.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit