My Wife Now Questions God

by Jon Preston 16 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

Well my wife and I have been through a roller coaster of life since i convinced her the Dibs werent the Truth. The hardest tests have been lived but we are closer than ever now. Now recently shes read "The Shack" Nd watched some movies about God and just cant seem to inderstand why God would allow all of this suffering just to prove to Satan that hes "The Man" (or woman). Most of what Ive reasoned for beliefs of many then furthers the confusion. I belueve the morality issue is what bothers her: Why does she hold back from anything since, if God didnt exist, theres no real eternal punishment...So fundamentalists and others alike...if u were in my shoes what could i say to provide comfort and assurance of a God who loves her (😳) or what assurances of comfort can i give while showing how important morality is if she didnt believe in God?

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

This comes up time and again, but it boils down to this: religion is man-made and thus morality is too. Clearly morality doesn't require a judge/jury/executioner in the sky. There are devout Christians that cheat on their wives, murder their neighbors and steal from their friends, just as there are atheists who are genuinely moral people. Belief in an imaginary friend doesn't automatically make you a better person, and even if it makes you behave a little better, I'd still contend that you'd have to be a pretty shitty person if it takes threat of eternal torture to get you to be nice.

Once you give up belief in god(s) you may reevaluate aspects of your morality (views of homosexuality is a common one) but most will remain intact because it just makes good sense. There may be a period where you feel a bit lost, but once things settle down you realize you're the same person you always were, if not better off.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

There is a youtube video about losing god. Can't remember exact title - it was posted here a while back. By a female comedien. Worth a gander.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

My Wife Now Questions God

...............What did she ask Him?..

..................................................  photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• Jon Preston
    Jon Preston

Its like: "Hey god why are u allowing this shit to happen for so long?"

God: "😁"

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

............................................ photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

.if u were in my shoes what could i say to provide comfort and assurance of a God who loves her (😳) or what assurances of comfort can i give while showing how important morality is if she didnt believe in God?

If you don't know what to say to assure her of a God, then maybe she's right to question God and you need to join her.

...and why do you automatically fall into thinking that she needs to be shown how important morality is if she doesn't believe in God?
    I will tell you about immorality. If God exists, your wife might be on to something about Him sitting back and allowing all that suffering. Talk about immorality. Your wife will not suddenly be screwing others and injecting drugs into her arm because she started thinking clearer than ever before.

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil — that takes religion.

-Steven Weinberg

I would start by pointing out to her that morality exists independant of any God. Realizing there is no good reason to believe in a deity should no more affect her sense of morality than learning that unicorns aren't real. Morality deals with the results that our actions have on other sentient beings - namely humans. Causing harm is bad. Causing well being is good. Barring a serrious brian disorder like psychopathy, everyone understands and can relate to how other people feel and how our actions might influence them (look up Theory of Mind for more infromation on this).

The Golden Rule, treat people how you want to be treated, is most commenly associated with Jesus. Though he certainly wasn't the first person to say it. Isocrates had said it three-hundred years earlier. And Confucius a further two-hundred years before that. It's been part of every major civilization in history up to the present day. And its a concept we all intuitively understand.

But, more importantly, I would pose the following question to her: Which is more moral - doing something so that you can get a reward? - or doing something because you care about others?

Once a person considers the ramifications of this question it's very easy to see that religion gives people bad reasons to do good things - and often bad reasons to do bad things.

On the other hand, basic empathy gives people good reasons to do good things: Do good things for your family - because you love your family. Do good things for your friends - because you love your friends. Help those in need - because they are in need. Be good for goodness sake and help others for the positive effects it has on yourself and the people around you.

There is no need to choose between living well and doing well to others. For they are the same thing.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Even the bible addresses those who don't "know God" but who have a sense of what is right and wrong. See Romans 2. Not sure how or if this is anything applicable to your conversations with wife. I will offer my input. I think a lot of us get a little ambivalent about God at some point in our life journey. There is often an outside event or crisis or wonder that pulls us back in. I had one. My husband did, too. The point is, growing pains sometimes make us uncomfortable (or those around us-think adolescents).

• clarity
    clarity

This is a hot issue with many people.....wt says

god has to prove (by our worship etc) that he is

the true/supreme god...... or else what would all

those angels think of him, if he just obliterated A&E

or that bright angel in the garden.

Well, ...after setting man kind right back to just 8

people, by flooding the earth & killing everything he

could........he has sat back & watched generations

(millions & millions) of people & babies & animals

suffer in agony, beaten, raped, sickend with

horrendous diseases, blinded, deaf & speachless

a n d t h a t is O K????????????????? with him!!

What......pray tell, do all the myriads of angels

think of him now! After they look at the legacy

of death he has instituted on mankind????

Or ....does god not exist, and it is up to each and

everyone of us to make this earth a wonderful

place to live.

clarity

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit