EBOLA -why should America take the lead in handling it?

by hamsterbait 33 Replies latest jw friends

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I think we should get involved because A) We are one of a few countries that has the resources to do so. B) A global pandemic will effect everyone including us.

The longer we delay the harder it will be to stop. It would be nice if other nations pitched in as well and if the countries involved were grateful, but that is not relevant to the fact that it is in our own interest to help solve the problem.

I really do not want to be bleeding out of my eyeballs because every one stood around waiting for the other guy to do it, and the countries involved didn't say please and thank you.

I suggest everyone read The Hot Zone.

• sooner7nc
    sooner7nc

The 1st world should take the lead in fighting this to keep it from spreading. To not do this would spell doom for the entire continent because the entire continent is incapable of fending for itself.

• Space Madness
    Space Madness

@tootiredtothink

South Africa has the highest crime rate on the African continent. India has the 15th highest poverty rate of all countries on earth and the country has an average IQ of 81, 19 points below the average of 100. Also you're overlooking the fact that every time an African leader such as Patrice Lumumba or Kwame Nkrumah tried to use their natural resources for themselves, the CIA would armed rebels to overthrow them and replace them with a dicator that would allow the west to control the countries resources. Unlike African countries, former colonies in Asia have been allowed to self govern without western interference.

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

What do crime rates have to do with the point I made? South Africa is a self sufficient country that has created great overall aggregate wealth for itself.

African countries, former colonies in Asia have been allowed to self govern without western interference.

Singapore did not start self governing until almost the 1970s, and Hong Kong, Taiwan, and South Africa etc. had "western interference" until the 90s. So why aren't these localities poor?

As far as India goes, sure there are many poor people, with 1.2 billion people it's a difficult problem to solve, however, India ranks 15th on the wealth list http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/india-business/India-ranks-15th-on-global-wealth-list/articleshow/36367448.cms. India is projected to become the seventh wealthiest nation by 2018.

Brilliant minds come out of India, I've worked with many of them, They are very pro education there, and have a good work ethic. I don't buy your IQ assertion, what study supports that? India has problems (what country doesn't), but despite that, it is still able to take care of itself, and hold its own on the world stage.

• AlwaysBusy
    AlwaysBusy

I read "Hot Zone", scary. We NEED to get involved.

• NAVYTOWN
    NAVYTOWN

If the Ebola doesn't become airborne, and that's a big IF, some other deadly virus WILL become airborne at some future date. It's true now that this will happen. The Earth has an uncanny way of balancing out excesses. With the world headed toward ten billion people and beyond, Mother Nature WILL see to it that the population is reduced back to a sustainable level. Say what you will, but this IS going to happen. Enjoy the ride!!

• Space Madness
    Space Madness

@tootired2think

South Africa is still control by westerns, they can't interfer with their own governments. Asian countries aren't poor because as you stated they have been allowed to self govern for over 40 years. Whereas even in 2014 the west arm rebels whenever a leader doesn't obey the commands of the west. This is what's happening today in South Sudan concerning oil. Also you can't deny the blantant racism practiced by Europeans when dealing with African countries. For example, Singapore and India have anti-gay laws but they continue to receive aid and support from the west. When Uganda and other African nations proposed anti-gay laws the World Bank threantened to cut off all aid to Uganada. These type of double standards contributes to why Africa continues to remain poor. If don't believe my assertion just simply google "India IQ".

• tootired2care
    tootired2care

@SpaceIdiot

All you've offered is opinion, and very little facts. The Asian countries were talking about were influenced in a beneficial way by the west. http://www.westerncultureglobal.org/what-is-western-culture.html.

Western culture currently dominates in many Western and Central European nations and several nations settled by Europeans and their descendants. Western culture also significantly exists in many Asian nations, such as Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and Singapore, and it is increasingly influential in India and China.

Is it really that hard to see why these countries have done so well in comparison to countries that don't have or allow western influence?

Over $500 billion (U.S.) has been sent to African nations in the form of direct aid. The consensus is that the money has had little long term effect. Most of Africa's poverty can be attributed to these main things.

• Mismanagement of land
    • Misused money on boondoggle projects and weapons instead of infrastructure
    • Disease
    • Lack of cooperative infrastructure (railways between countries to transport resources effeciently etc.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poverty_in_Africa

You're wrong, the west is not to blame for Africa's problems.

• jgnat
    jgnat

You just can't throw money (or troops) over the fence and hope for the best.

https://www.ted.com/talks/ngozi_okonjo_iweala_on_aid_versus_trade

It is in the world's best interest to get on top of this disease. The US is definitely a leader in aid, but it is certainly not alone.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Here's why we and other countries are getting involved:

(CNN) -- Today, the Ebola virus spreads only through direct contact with bodily fluids, such as blood and vomit. But some of the nation's top infectious disease experts worry that this deadly virus could mutate and be transmitted just by a cough or a sneeze.

"It's the single greatest concern I've ever had in my 40-year public health career," said Dr. Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota."I can't imagine anything in my career -- and this includes HIV -- that would be more devastating to the world than a respiratory transmissible Ebola virus."

Osterholm and other experts couldn't think of another virus that has made the transition from non-airborne to airborne in humans. They say the chances are relatively small that Ebola will make thatjump. But as the virus spreads, they warned, the likelihood increases.

Every time a new person gets Ebola, the virus gets another chance to mutate and develop new capabilities. Osterholm calls it "genetic roulette."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit