What happy, wonderful thing happened to you since you left the "truth"?

by Jeannette 27 Replies latest social physical

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

I discovered the old world, and have been so busy exploring it, that I no longer dream of an imaginery new world

• SpeedRacer
    SpeedRacer

I found my lovely wife, after a horrible 17 years with a nutcase that I was suppose to stay with my whole life.

Speedracer

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I bacame free to come to a conclusion - any conclusion - based on logic and reason, without feeling hamstrung by ideology.

• PhilJonesIII
    PhilJonesIII

Learning that 'worldly' people are not all out to get you but can be very loyal and supportive friends.

Falling crazy in love with someone and still being crazy in love a decade later.

Spending a night alone in the French Alps, sleeping under the stars just to watch a sunrise.

A 'Jacques Cousteau' moment when diving in Mauritius. Surrounded by a huge shoal of fish and remembering an 8-year-old me touching the TV screen and wanting to be Jacques Cousteau. Under water, no one can hear you cry.

Not trying to be good out of fear but because I want to be. I still fail but I'm kicking my own ass on that one.

• Open mind
    Open mind

These have all been great to read, but,

PhilJonesIII: "Under water, no one can hear you cry."

That was simply beautiful. Thanks for sharing it here.

om

• TheFadingAlbatros
    TheFadingAlbatros

I've always had a fascination for the albatross, the ability he has to fly very far over the oceans without getting tired and without forgetting where it came from. It represents for me the freedom in its highest form, the kind of freedom I feel now after many decades of sectarian imprisonment.

Another thing I really appreciate, that is of being now myself desirous of asking God in my prayers to support all those who are suffering and need help, regardless of race, religion, and so on.

There are still many other things that I now appreciate that I have much more time. Playing classical piano, discovering so many other good things by myself.

In other words I have regained human dignity and the joy of living free of every cult stranglehold.

I keep on completely fading since many years intelligently, so that no JW will be able to separate me from my family. The albatros needs its family, I too.

• PhilJonesIII
    PhilJonesIII

Thank you Open mind. I only waited 50 years or so for that experience.

I believe that as we get older we also switch off from the media driven hype with it's overuse of 'awesome', 'amazing' and whatever. The JW philosophy also makes us unbelivably negative, making us cynical about people's efforts to make the world a better place. There was always a selfish motive it seemed.

I had reached a point where I was happy enough. A good career, and 'comfortable in my skin' as they say in France. The idea I might still be able to experience something that would take my breath away had long abandoned me. When I first saw what I can only describe as a 'dark cloud' of fish approaching I felt apprehensive ( lots of small fish dont need big teeth ). I just hung there as they approached, not daring to move in case I spooked them. Next thing surrounded and junior-me came to mind. That was the innocent and facinated kid in his pre-JW and pre-everything else......and this was in full colour, not the black-and-white version. Yes I was actually blubbing. The JWs had not killed the kid in me. The reality was better than the dream.

• Alive!
    Alive!

@ Philjones and everyone...

Its been a tough process - 25 years of living as a witness, surrounded by negative and damning thinking regarding human efforts...

A couple of years ago, at dinner with a "brother' and his wife - we were talking about a recent natural disaster and I said that the local Mayor had really done a fantastic job rallying around the community and keeping up spirits in the face of devastating hardship for many.

Brother Elder said "Hmmmm, makes me very angry, he just makes the devil look good".

The Mayor is a decent family man and known for it. What rattled this brother's cage is that good was seen to be done, but not by JWs.

Seriously. This man is apparently qualified to go to peoples homes and win their trust, intrude into their lives and "guide" them.

One of the wonderful things that has happened to me.....I own my own discernment...without guilt or self reproach.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit