Stupidity of Noah's Ark

by stuckinarut2 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cofty
    cofty

It was fascinating.

Digest version (spoiler alert) ...

Academic at British Museum with big beard deciphered Babylonian tablet and discovered origin of biblical flood story - even has the "animals two by two".

Unlike the bible the Babylonian story describes a boat that doesn't defy physics. It was circular!

The Euphrates and Tigris flooded all the time and these large coracles might actually have been built as community lifeboats.

The program had one built 12m diameter using the instructions from the ancient tablet and it worked beautifully.

Bible writers got the story during the exile in Babylon and turned it into the ridiculous Noah version.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Damn I wanted to see that programme. I will watch it on more 4 when I get back to the UK.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

It is worth a watch CL, just for the laugh when the Coracle/Ark starts to leak and take in water !

Note what Finkel says about the date of the tablet they worked from, and the date of the Genesis story.

Has anyone done any research on the physics of the Ark as described in Genesis, its box-like shape sounds feasible, but made of all that timber, would if have floated ?

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Even if the Biblical account is true, why on earth would I feel any desire to worship such a being that commits global genocide of humanity bar 8 souls (and even worse, when the evil was not caused by humankind but rebellious angels)????

Am I attacking 'Jehovah'? Am I an evil apostate? No, I'm just stimulating your natural common sense and encouraging you to ask the obvious but profound question: "What's more reasonable to believe? That God really, actually drowned the whole world, or that it really is just a myth after all?"

The fastest and surest way to fast-track your mind and life to new, heightened levels of mental freedom and truth is to understand the painful but undeniable truth that the Bible is full of fiction and myth masquarading as real history.

• Onager
    Onager

It was fascinating.

Digest version (spoiler alert) ...

Academic at British Museum with big beard deciphered Babylonian tablet and discovered origin of biblical flood story - even has the "animals two by two".

Unlike the bible the Babylonian story describes a boat that doesn't defy physics. It was circular!

The Euphrates and Tigris flooded all the time and these large coracles might actually have been built as community lifeboats.

The program had one built 12m diameter using the instructions from the ancient tablet and it worked beautifully.

Bible writers got the story during the exile in Babylon and turned it into the ridiculous Noah version.

There were a couple of things that made me laugh watching that program:

The boats that the ark was based on were called "Guffers" and the narrator kept saying the name with such deadly seriousness. I gave a puerile snicker every time.

The other thing was that the bearded academic was called Irving. "In his quest to discover more about the Babylonians Irving has come to Berlin". Irving Berlin??? Again the narrator didn't even give a hint of a smile. He must have been a robot.

The things that interested me were:

The program wasnt trying to prove the biblical ark \ flood story at all (despite the misleading program title). Instead it was trying to prove that local flooding was behind this Babylonian story and that the bible had clearly stolen and adapted it.

The flood story and ark instructions the program was working from predated the bible by a 1,000 years and *wasn't* the epic of Gilgamesh.

All in all, I was expecting ridiculousness but didn't quite get it. It was actually rather good.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great comments Yadda!!

I agree...it is messed up on so many levels....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit