How much meaning are the rank and file putting on October 2014?

by JimmyPage 28 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

It's definitely on their minds. I attended a funeral recently and a JW told me that the person who died almost made it to the 100 year anniversary of the birth of the kingdom.

Curious what comments like this you've heard in your area?

(And can't wait for November!)

• millie210
    millie210

I have found it to be curiously downplayed for some reason.

I have no idea why.

• LennaB
    LennaB

People at my hall have been making a big deal about It. Especially this pioneer sister who was alive when they were preaching "Millions now will never die!" I remember her telling me a few months ago this system wouldn't even continue on ten years. Let alone one more..

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

The only hype I hear is from HQ.

No one else expects anything.

Doc

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

I haven't noticed much excitement, but I'm not rally in tune with the social scene in my congregation. The only thing I've heard was a remark an elder made, saying how good it was that the society was making such a big deal about the 100 year anniversary, since that means "they're not planning on changing 1914 anytime soon." I have no conception how someone could acknowledge that it's possible (likely, even!) that they might change 1914 without seeing the cult for what it is.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Only a tiny minority take the 'October' aspect of it seriously.

Overall though, there's a real awareness of the 100 year 'anniversary' and a somewhat heightened sense that 'something' is about to happen.

This last service year will no doubt report a 'healthy' increase in publisher stats in the annual report from this 100 year anniversary hoopla. We'll probably also see this again in the 2014/15 service report. But the sense of disillusionment and disaffection, already worsening, will start to take hold from 2015/16 service year onwards.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I remember her telling me a few months ago this system wouldn't even continue on ten years. Let alone one more..

I was told in 1960 that this system of things couldnt last another 5 years before armageddon came .

Sadly the same line was repeated year after year by this same brother who brought me into the "truth" and I didnt wake up until 33 years later .

smiddy

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Shouldn't they be celebrating the 100th year of Christ doing nothing as he said he would ?

Maybe that 1914 thing was just a commercial farce to help the sales of literature or attract people to the WTS. publications

..............naaaaaa !!!

You can trust charlatans they never bullshit to create money and power.

• LennaB
    LennaB

Do the GB really belive this stuff themselves? How can people so confidently make statements about this "wicked system of things" ending in the next five years or so, and when it doesn't happen they don't think anything of it. As of now, IDK if it is the same in other halls, their are people are saying, "Not ONLY are we in the last days, Satan is in his final hours and the promised land is right on the horizon." People have been saying these things since 1960? This amazes me that the older ones don't know better by now.. Even though I understand that their belifes conquers better reasoning..

• berrygerry
    berrygerry

Sorry, but did the Kingdom not originally begin ruling in 1799?

Hence, are we not celebrating 215 years?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit