How old were you when baptized?

by Coded Logic 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

I was baptized at the age of 11. Like most of us, my commitment wasn’t to honor God but rather I was gang pressed into the service of the WTBTS. And, at such a young age, it was impossible for me to appreciate the enormity of my actions. Honestly, how could I possibly have known any better? All my friends and family told me it was the right thing to do. And never once did I stop and consider that if I ever wanted to change my mind I would be outcast and called an apostate.

The more I think about it, the more I realize just how insidious the JW practices' are. They enslave the minds of children and vandalize everyones thinking with superstition and their perpetual accusations of thought crime. It’s an absolute travesty, because no one should ever be held hostage by their beliefs . . . nor enchained to anyone else's.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

12, and I really wanted to serve god, and to Pioneer. Oh callow youth, if I could only go back in time and talk to the 12 year old me !

• Reopened Mind
    Reopened Mind

I was baptized at 20 after studying with some girls I met in junior high school. My parents opposed my association with the Witnesses so I waited until I moved out on my own. I felt I was pleasing God (the WT) rather than men. I was just as ignorant of the workings of the Society as those who were dunked at an earlier age.

Reopened Mind

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

got have to be honest, I did it only because "it was time", and was expected.

I thought it was the truth, but I never had any "relationship with god"

As i was walking back to dry and get changed, one sister said " as you came out of the water, didnt you just feel Jehovah drawing closer to you?"

I thought, "no, I just feel damn cold!"

• joyfulfader
    joyfulfader

16. I was the then PO's daughter and I had procrastinated enough. No one ever studied a single book with me. I just did it. Crownsville, MD...the old one. I don't remember ever having a "love for Jehovah", just a fear of losing my friends and dying at Armageddon which I truly believed in. I thought baptism would protect me. Weird.

• happy@last
    happy@last

15 at Crystal Palace. I thought it would make me happy, turns out it didn't

• prologos
    prologos

26, in the 50s, after I studied the bible and 'make sure of all things' by myself. I got baptized because I wanted to be counted among "those that [DID NOT] destroy the earth"; had no idea about the horrid details that it really entailed, later developped, when

WT came clean and made it the induction ceremony into the 'spirit directed JW ORG anisation'

• galaxie
    galaxie

I was 13, at portobello nr Edinburgh.

50 yrs later the debate still goes on about how I should be dealt with because of my apostasy.

• Julia Orwell
    Julia Orwell

Reopened Mind, my story is similar. I was baptized at 19 after learning jw religion from a school friend. When I finished year 12 at 17 and got my own car I began to study with jws and was baptized at 19.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Stukinarut2 I laughed`at your comment. I was 16 years old when I was baptized in St. Pete FL but the water was so hot it turned my skin red. So when you were baptized you were cold and I was hot. LOL Still Totally ADD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit