How many use iPads or tablets in your cong?

by stuckinarut2 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Powermetal4ever
    Powermetal4ever

In my cong theres not that many, maybe 10 outta 50 or something. I actually bought a tablet because I saw other using it in the meetings, and I wanted one myself. I also thought I could sit and check other things or even play, while on meetings, but I havent dared yet... Guess you have to sit at the back or something, so no one sees.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

About 50% here too.

Sir82: I don't think they'd ever have a JW discount at apple. What's more likely is they'll make a "loving arrangement" to allow you to pay the WTS for the iPad with the neccessary specs, bundled with a pre-installed JW library app and bookmarks to jw.org. Maybe some other useless stuff bundled in, too. It will all cost the same as it would if you just bought it from apple, but everyone will be so grateful to the WTS for using their bargaining power to take care of this "need" for us. Meanwhile, the WTS is buying the stuff at a discount and getting freebees for COs and GB members.

• Splash
    Splash
    SHOULD WE READ THE BIBLE ONLINE?

NO - w02 6/15 p. 15 Follow the Royal Pattern [Box on page 15] "In Our Hands"
    "If we want . . . a concordance to the Bible, we can find no better medium than the Internet. But if we want to read the Bible, to study it, think about it, reflect upon it, we should have it in our hands, for that is the only way of getting it into our minds and our hearts."—Gertrude Himmelfarb, distinguished professor emeritus, City University, New York.

YES - jl (2012) What Is God’s Will?
    Learn about us online. Visit the official Web site of Jehovah’s Witnesses at www.jw.org. There you can read the Bible online and view or print out many of our publications in over 400 languages.

Splash

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

In my congregation I'd say about 40-50% or so. Hard to tell sometimes because they do not always use them weekly. I did notice that there was a surge of elders adopting them after the "official" JW Library app came out last year. I guess diehards were waiting for mother to give approval by dripping milk out of her teet first.

• Iown Mylife
    Iown Mylife

Oh I had forgotten about that "loving arrangement" phrase, OneEyedJoe! Ick, makes me sick.

i we left before seeing any tablets used in the meetings. Hard to imagine, after all the years of putting down electronics.

Marina

• factfinder
    factfinder

I can't afford a basic cell phone let alone a tablet.

• Gustv Cintrn
    Gustv Cintrn

Hi,

About 1/2 the conv does now. Some have already started to use it for field service all the time, the younger ones anyway.

Moving right along with technology.

GC

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

Coming soon: A Watchtower corperate disocount with Apple/Samsung/Nexus [fill in the blank]. Show your blood card and get a 15% discount on equipment & data plans.

The next thing you'll hear is that they are making tablets at Bethel and Bill Gates is marveling at how well made and inexpensive they are and he's sending his people over to tour the factory to see how they do it.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I don't get the iPad thing at the meetings. How do they prevent people from surfing the internet, reading emails, checking sports scores, and the million other things to distract that forms the basis of the Internet?

Do they have monitors to make sure everyone is focusing on the material? I used to be criticized for reading scriptures that were not addressed by the speaker. That was nothing compared to the bag of candy that is readily available now. I cannot imagine how distracting (and wonderful) an iPad is at a meeting.

• steve2
    steve2

Do the tablets come with the usual instructions? I hear some must be taken with water and only on a full stomach. What have others noticed?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit