The 1919 issue

by confused 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• confused
    confused

I am not a regular visitor to this site, every now and then then I get twisted up about something I come back lol

I am sure this has been discussed many times so a link to another thread would be great or if someone has the patience to explain again please?

I have read the July 15 2013 wt many times but I simply don't understand the significance of 1919 from the BIBLE. When I have asked an elder about this I was told the understanding is retrospect but can someone please explain what the watchtower is actually claiming was prophesied about and fulfilled in that year?

Thanks

confused

• TTWSYF
    TTWSYF

So many significant dates that the watchtower has promoted in the past. Why pick 1919?

why not 1873, 1911, 1914, 1925, 1932, 1975 or any of the others?

just wondering

• cha ching
    cha ching

1919 was a convenient date that was able to be used by the WT numerologists to prove that they absolutely were the "faithful and discreet slave." They simply took advantage of different events "Wow we had conventions everywhere, that relates to the book of Revelation ..." (the trumpets, or something) (I don't want to remember how this morning) and the 3 and a half years, and the "sometimes years are literal, sometimes they are symbolic" and "a short time means this" ....... Have I blown your brain yet? Perfect WT style, right? The higher ups were released from prison after 'a short time'.... in 1919.

Without 1919, or ANY kind of ANYthing..... they have no authority....

This is the mental shell game the WT has been playing for years. ;-)

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It was self proclaimed at the time by the president of the WTS. (J Rutherford) that his religious publishing house had been exclusively chosen by God because god saw what they (he) was doing in the appropriate and proper bible teachings.

Yet in 1919 the WTS was still holding to Pyramidologyu as a theological teaching..

In other words J Rutherford was trying to create a sense of viability around himself and the literature the WTS.

published, in spite of being indulgently corrupt and unscriptural in its doctrinal teachings.

• Splash
    Splash
    I think it was related to the parts of three days that Jesus spent in the grave, a day for a year after 1914...
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/1919-derived.php

This far out from bothering with their silly stuff, my head spins when I try to make sense of the general doctrine. From jwfacts, I sort of remember that 3.5 years (from Rev. 11:2,3) would pass from some point in 1914 where the temple was trampled for "42 months" and that meant that Christendom was sure it had defeated Watchtower. They fudge that 42 months to end it in June of 1918 when the Watchtower Board of Directors were arrested. But some time after this 42 months (apparently 9 months with no explanation of why it was that time period), Watchtower's Board of Directors was released from prison and that release indicates that Jesus chose these men as his faithful and discreet slave.

Regardless of how anyone tries to understand this, it is a play on 1914. They chose that year for Jesus invisible arrival (after changing it from 1874) and the things that Rutherford did some short years later had to be made to fit with their predictions. Rather than admit they were wrong, they piled on to their doctrine with even more specific details of how actual events were prophesied in Revelation.

Since there is so much fudging in that explanation, they apparently returned to it in 2013 and "simplified" it and seemed to ignore the fudging to simply say that, instead of 1918, Jesus started inspecting "and cleansing" the temple in 1914 to get us to 1919- HOW? I DON'T KNOW!

I think they actually expect people not to do the math so that they don't realize that starting at any point in 1914 and adding 3.5 years will never get you to any point in 1919. They were probably wrong and got letters pointing that out, so in the Nov. 15, 2014 WT, they added the 3.5 days (again, totally ambiguous length) back to the chart with the 3.5 years in order to arrive in 1919. Here's that explanation:

"How long did this inspection and cleansing take place. It extended from 1914 to the early part of 1919. This period of time includes both the 1,260 days (42 months) and the symbolic three and a half days referred to in Revelation chapter 11."Watchtower 2014 Nov 15 p.30

Trying to understand deeper than that is just a waste of my time. I will guess that all the specifics about the slave being arrested and vindicated was too much for people to remember and sounded weird, so they came out with a simple explanation that actually made no sense. Here's my paraphrase: Y'all know Jesus came in 1914 and chose the Watchtower as his spokespeople. Well, even though they were his chosen people, Jesus had to clean it up for a few years and then he appointed the Slave in 1919. Our doctrine is so steeped in these dates that we can't abandon them, so just learn to accept them.

• FusionTheism
    FusionTheism

Here's a newer 2014 Question From Readers where they clarify their "New Light" on 1919 (scroll down under the part about the Elders): http://m.wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2014847?q=1919&p=par

Here is a 2004 Watchtower all about 1919 (may be Old Light by now): http://m.wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2004168?q=1919&p=par

And in this "Highlights of Revelation" Watchtower article they claim Jesus gave the "Key of David" to the Faithful Slave in 1919: http://m.wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2009046?q=1919&p=par

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein
    There is self supporting marketing in religion, particularly in the free wheeling environment in the United States.
  • Hold Me-Thrill Me
    Hold Me-Thrill Me

Confused, the Governing Body's attempt to explain 1919 and how they got there is like an ancient temple prostitute in Babylon attempting to figure out which of her lovers fathered her child. She goes back 9 months, give or take a few weeks or days, and decides who among the several lovers she was with during that time may fit the bill.

Sad to say, but that is the way it is. Pick an event, find a scripture to make is so. That's how the Governing Body explains their big belly.

Frank

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Pick an event, find a scripture to make is so.

The "event' in 1919 that the WTS tries so desperately to say is a Biblical event, was simply that the WTS bought their own printing presses that year. 1919 was the year that the WTS truly owned their own production method - they "owned" the "word".

Ever since 1919, the WTS has tried to justify this earthshaking event by ascribing Biblical interpretation to it when all that happened was a financial maneuver.

Wm Hudgings, when speaking at the Cedar Point convention in 1919, revealed that the reason the WTS KNEW that God had blessed them that year, was because of....the significance of the number "7" in the events that led up to 1919.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit