Observations from a day at the zoo

by Simon 22 Replies latest social family

• Bruja-del-Sol
    Bruja-del-Sol

Totally agree with OTWO. There's a German Circus in our area at the moment, it's large, and it has a lot of animals (elephants, tigers, camels, seals etc.). Although I would love to be in that atmosphere just one more time, for the smell and the triggering of childhood memories, I won't go. Because of the animals. I don't want to financially support a system that I don't approve of.

• jam
    jam

My observation: How many of these animals could fit into Ark and

how many folks does it take to maintain a zoo a day......

• rebel8
    rebel8

I agree--it's nice to see wildlife rehabs when animals have been injured (if treated nicely) and perhaps a few who are protecting animals from hunting. Most zoos I've been to are not like that and I think I'm done visiting zoos.

But then, most of us are sensitive to creatures not being free.

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

There was an incident many years ago. While I was ill, I frequently walked in Central Park. The Central Park Zoo was horrible. Anything that went private/public has been a success. I walked past the polar bears. Their quarters were filthy. I identified with them. Two weeks later, one of the polr bears went bokers. He would not eat or sleep. All he did was swim in his enclosure. The mayor rushed to the scene. The Bronx Zoo people arrived. Polar bear experts from Europe arrived. The poor bear was reacting to lack of stimulation. He could not be flown to the North b/c he spent too many years in ccaptivity. He was given toys to play games with his keeper. For obvious reasons, he could not walk around Manhattan and eat humans. Under the new rules, he had fresh meat that he had to hunt for every day. There were plastic ice floes. The city turned over the keys to the park to the Bronx Zoo.

Oh, people listened by radio. New Yorkers swarmed into the park to check out the bear. Thousands took from work to see the poor bear.

• prologos
    prologos

may be the kids were put in carts to keep track of them, not to have them stray? put them on the same level as the caged animals? good intent? convenience?

love to have kids see, feel the real thing, like the play of the elephant's sensitive nose trunk in waikiki I remember.

or the trained bird in the miami seaqurium parking lot shriping: "Hi, how are you!" the dolpins throwing rings from their nose perfectly aimed into your hand.

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

Zoos don't make that much money from just entry fees.

London zoo seems to get by..

2009 Financial report:

For ZSL London Zoo it was the second-best year since,1993 with 1.059,million visitors. May, half-term, summer, holidays and Halloween were the most notable successes. Overall for the year, we finished 34,170 visitors ahead of,budget and 20,140 up on 2008. £10,740,000 admission revenue was generated which is an increase of £711,000 from,2008 (£10,029,000).

http://www.zsl.org/sites/default/files/document/2014-02/zsl-financial-report2009-1119.pdf

How they manage this from only an average 2,730 visitors a day I don't know.

• KateWild
    KateWild

I love zoo's and aquariums. Such a great learning environment. As for the kids Carts, totally bad idea. Proper laziness. Kate xx

• Gregor
    Gregor

You can't deny the little guys the chance to see live wild animals up close. Zoos are more and more performing a conservation role which is good, but as with Simon, I leave a zoo visit in a sad frame of mind.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

Zoos don't make that much money from just entry fees.

The one we have in Madison is free. It's supported by public donation. It's also shrunk gradually over the years. I remember it being considerably bigger when I was a kid.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Two things:

1. Watch Blackfish
    2. Obesity is a huge epidemic in North America, particularly the US. One reason is that people are too lazy to walk anywhere. The other is that they eat too much.

Obesity in the US

Source: US Center for Disease Control

It starts young.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit