What? How did 25 years go by so fast ...

by Simon 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• Simon
    Simon

I'm sitting here listening to Google Music (which is great BTW) and decided to put one of Bob Dylans newer albums on.

Oh Mercy

It's a great album. I remember it coming out. I worked at Boots Sound & Vision dept in Warrington at the time and played it all the time. I can remember the place and picture it and all the people I knew and worked with back then. I wonder what they are all doing now?

I read the synopsis and looked at the date.

It's not a new album anymore for starters but ... how did 25 years just go by so fast??? Ronald Reagan was still president for goodness sake. That seems like an eternity ago.

Funny how memory can seem to jump about so much.

Life goes by so fast. Maybe I'm just getting old.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

That is an awesome album. Remember when it came out myself.

Everything is broken. . . . .

• compound complex
    compound complex

Life goes by so fast. Maybe I'm we're just getting old.

It's OK, Simon. We will grow old in this system. I'm no longer heartbroken . . . ((((()))))

CC

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It seems when your in your 20's the 50's seem so long was off you don't even think about it, then wham your in your 50's going wow that was quick !

Great album by Dylan one of my favorites.

• Magnum
    Magnum

Life goes by so fast. Maybe I'm just getting old.

It is blowing by. I can't believe it's been thirteen years since Sept 11, 2001. What happened? When I was a child, a year seemed like an eternity. Four years of high school seemed like forever. Now, four years is nothing.

I've reconnected with two old elementary school buddies recently and mentioned to them how quickly life is passing. They don't seem to feel the same way. I think being (or having been) a JW has a lot to do with it. When I was completely in, I never lived in the present; I lived for the future. The present meant nothing; I wanted to get it out of the way to make place for the future. Did that warp my sense of judging the passing of time?

I don't know, but I do know time appears to be blowing by. I remember 89 like it was yesterday.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Mathematical ratios don't account for the emotional impact described, but time and its scope are viewed differently -- albeit not consciously -- by a youngster as compared to an older person:

One year is 20% of a five year old's life, whereas the same time period is 2% of a fifty year old's life. How does this "reality" account for time's dragging or its flying past us? I once expressed myself algebraically, but I'm no mathematical theorist.

I dunno . . .

CC

• minimus
    minimus

I hate bob Dylan.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

........................................................................................................................... photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• frogonmytoe
    frogonmytoe

Bob Dylan is a great lyricist, but reminds me of Leonard Cohen: writes poetic, beautiful songs, but really should never have been allowed to sing them. Ouch. Almost as tone deaf as Beth Orton.

• Simon
    Simon

I think the gritty voice is what makes the songs what they are. They wouldn't carry the same gravitas with a 'perfect' voice like Streisand singing.

It's why there is such demand for the bootleg / outtake recordings - so raw, so good !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit