Anyone else notice the new Terms of Use on jw.org?

by leaving_quietly 75 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• 4thgen
    4thgen

I believe that if we continue to cut & paste the WT could have legal grounds to make trouble for Simon and the others w non jw websites. They have deep pockets and nasty lawyers.They are preparing for war.

• LogCon
    LogCon

m

• HeyThere
    HeyThere

As others have said, there is the ability to provide review and opinion etc. And cite the source. They are intimidating, but there are limits to what they can actually enforce.

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

They are not playing around.. I've been creating a scraper for the site for a new project that I'm working on, and my IP has now officially been banned as of this morning. It's not a big deal as I'll just use a VPN now but, some thing is indeed changing.

• Badfish
    Badfish

You obviously haven't read the Bible. The Christian Greek Scriptures™ as well as numerous prophecies about JW.org™ in the Hebrew-Aramaic Scriptures™ clearly state that Jehovah doesn't allow anyone to quote from His official website on any other websites, or else His Holy Spirit™ will move His Earthly Organization™ to sue you.

The Bible evidence is overwhelming when it comes to proving the date January 23, 2008 - the holy date in which Jehovah's website would be launched. If we start with the date when JW.org was first registered, November 28, 1999, we come up with 2989 days between the site being registered and the launch date of the website, which is pretty darn close to 2520. Evidently, this proves that Jehovah's Spirit ™ is moving upon His website and its web designers. Does this not move you to contribute to the worldwide work currently being done on the earth today? All major credit cards accepted.

• objectivetruth
    objectivetruth

@badfish comment *like*

"tell me are you a bad fish too"

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Badfish:

You obviously haven't read the Bible. The Christian Greek Scriptures™ as well as numerous prophecies about JW.org™ in the Hebrew-Aramaic Scriptures™ clearly state that Jehovah doesn't allow anyone to quote from His official website on any other websites, or else His Holy Spirit™ will move His Earthly Organization™ to sue you.

The Bible evidence is overwhelming when it comes to proving the date January 23, 2008 - the holy date in which Jehovah's website would be launched. If we start with the date when JW.org was first registered, November 28, 1999, we come up with 2989 days between the site being registered and the launch date of the website, which is pretty darn close to 2520. Evidently, this proves that Jehovah's Spirit ™ is moving upon His website and its web designers.

Obviously some typos there. Surely you meant:

You obviously haven't read the bible. The christian greek scriptures™ as well as numerous prophecies about JW.ORG™ in the hebrew-aramaic scriptures™ clearly state that jehovah doesn't allow anyone to quote from his Official Website on any other websites, or else his holy spirit™ will move his Earthly Organization™ to sue you.

The bible evidence is overwhelming when it comes to proving the date January 23, 2008 - the holy date in which jehovah's Website would be launched. If we start with the date when JW.ORG was first registered, November 28, 1999, we come up with 2989 days between The Site being registered and the launch date of The Website, which is pretty darn close to 2520. Evidently, this proves that jehovah's spirit ™ is moving upon his Website and Its web designers.
  • JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Jeffro says: 'The terms of use on the site don't (and in practical terms, can't) preclude fair use, which includes copying text for the purposes of criticism or review. As is the case with all copyrighted material, you can freely copy (and publish) portions of their material sufficient to demonstrate the point of your own accompanying commentary.'

4thgen says: 'I believe that if we continue to cut & paste the WT could have legal grounds to make trouble for Simon'

HeyThere says: 'They are intimidating, but there are limits to what they can actually enforce.'

Objectivetruth says: 'I've been creating a scraper for the site for a new project that I'm working on, and my IP has now officially been banned as of this morning.'

This question is for you Simon. With all the above quoted opinions I like soo many others are at a loss.

1. At what point can we go too far resulting in trouble for you?

2. What can we do and what can we not do in relation to copy & paste from WT's website and posting here? According to Jeffro there is something called fair use which sounds like we have some leeway on the matter of copy and paste (do you know anything about that?)

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

JW GoneBad:

With all the above quoted opinions I like soo many others are at a loss.

The 'quoted opinions' are not particularly confusing.

'Fair Use' is a well-known principle of copyright law allowing for criticism, review, satire, and other usage of portions of copyright material. For this reason, there is no 'threat' to such usage.

The main focus of the 'terms of use' is on using copyright material from the site in exchange for money. The wording doesn't have any impact on typical fair use.

Creating a 'scraper' (software that selectively extracts content from a website) is precluded by the website's terms and conditions, and is not within the bounds of 'fair use'. It's not surprising that such activity might get blocked (though inability to access a site at some point doesn't necessarily 'prove' that an IP was 'officially banned').

Much of the content of their 'terms and conditions' is fairly standard. The disinction is their focus on threatening to block access to the site, and their unusual drawing attention to the terms.

• besty
    besty

But of course the issue is that it's tupical for businesses ... and that's what they are. If they really had a lifesaving message wouldn't they be telling the world to copy and paste it anywhere they could?

Did Jesus get everyone to sign an NDA before the sermon on the mount?

He probably at least took all their cell phones ...

haha ye :-) idiots...!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit