Anyone else notice the new Terms of Use on jw.org?

by leaving_quietly 75 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AndDontCallMeShirley
    AndDontCallMeShirley

BOC: Ok. . . . so enforcing legal minutiae regarding downloading "intellectual property" is more important than spreading the message of gods kingdom earth wide?

Exactly. If WT has the only "life-saving" message the whole world needs to hear before Armageddon comes (anyday now, "soon"), why is WT limiting the use of the info ? They should be happy that people want to help them spread the message-for free, no less.

• leaving_quietly
    leaving_quietly

So please explain for us NON computer geeks what this means...Is the crux of the matter, do not cut and paste from JW.org because they can find out who we are and potentially sue us? Or something else?

You pretty much got it. It's a legal notification that their content is copyrighted and it is illegal to use anywhere else. The legitimacy of that claim and of fair use laws isn't my area to comment on. I'll leave that to the lawyers.

That said, the point of my OP isn't that they have a Terms of Use. Most websites do. And most have some strong-arm language in then to attempt to ward off copyright infringement. I get that. The point of my OP that the Terms of Use is now 'in your face'. It comes up when you go to the site at the bottom. They purposely draw attention to it. This is what I'm not getting. It just seems really strange and definitely uninviting. But that's just me.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

What it boils down to is that WT is having a hissy fit b/c the 'Apostate' nation is taking a very high percentage of the spoiled and rotten 'spiritual food' she serves to the masses and shoving and or thrusting it right back up her uranian which is creating a severe case of constipation for her!!!

• donuthole
    donuthole

Yes, websites have terms and conditions, and many include a similarly worded notice of copyright/use. Usually these terms and conditions are buried in the footer. I've never visited a site that pops up a terms and condition notice like JW.ORG. They want it to be given attention. Why?

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Yes, websites have terms and conditions, and many include a similarly worded notice of copyright/use. Usually these terms and conditions are buried in the footer. I've never visited a site that pops up a terms and condition notice like JW.ORG. They want it to be given attention. Why?.....Donuthole

..................................................................................... photo mutley-ani1.gif...OUTLAW

• Band on the Run
    Band on the Run

I discussed something similar with my sister this week. There can be a big difference between the black letter law and what happens in the marketplace. I call a local practicioner and ask what happens in real life. I suppose we will know soon enough. The copies and paste quotes that go on for paragraphs are suspicious.

• suavojr
    suavojr

HEY! It is not popping up on my computer anymore, did they remove it?

• ADJUSTMENTS
    ADJUSTMENTS

Suavojr it is at the bottom of the page now.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Wow, Jehovah sounds just like an attorney.

I wonder where he went to law school? Which is confusing, because, well ... isn't he against higher education?

• HeyThere
    HeyThere

Marked

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit