Cognitive Dissonance - Best of

by Dagney 7 Replies latest jw friends

• Dagney
    Dagney

Hi all. I have been explaining "cognitive dissonance" to a person (that I hope finds this site and thread) who is going though it right now. I sent the description to them with a link to additional information.

However, from a JW/exJW perspective, I would like your assistance to build a list of the various conficting thoughts perpetuated by the WTBS that creates this condition. For instance, I gave them:

your best is enough vs you are not doing enough

God loves you vs if you don't do more then god will destroy yuo

God loved the world so much he gave his son... vs you are no part of the world

We are on a roll here. Can't go into more detail but it is very exciting for me, and them.

Your thoughts are very much appreciated...

• rebel8
    rebel8

Love your children as God's creation/gift and you'll be bloodguilty if you cause death by your neglect vs. withhold livesaving medical care from your child

Love your children vs. beat your child with a rod

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

A big one for me was the belief that humans have only existed for 6000 years vs all the archeological evidence to the contrary. Same story for evolution.

Another form of CD also occurs when people participate in ritual behavior with a group. For example, you go to the KH and you have some reservations - maybe someone told you is a cult or you're just not very religious. Out of respect and the social pressure to conform, you bow your head during the prayer and say amen. Because your behavior (participation) just conflicted your belief (these people might be cultists) you will subconsciously change your belief (since it's to late to change your behavior) to minimize the dissonance. The simple act of bowing your head during prayer makes you more inclined to believe what comes next. Same goes for the song. (Went do you think it's often stressed that you need to be on time for the song and stay through the closing prayer?)

A similar effect happens when you conform in other ways. The analysis of the sparlock video on YouTube (by user askreality) explains this effect quite effectively, I thought.

• losingit
    losingit

Appreciate and marvel at Jehovah's creation vs. Be submissive to your husband (hence being unappreciated by those who claim to love you)

The prodigal son vs shunning/disfellowshipping

Jehovah is love vs. Destroying good ppl at Armageddon

Preach to others about the truth vs. Limit contact with non jws

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

JW's looked to so many dates for the end of this system of things that failed, 1874, 1878, 1881, 1910, 1914, 1918, 1920, 1925, 1975, within the lifetime of the 1914 generation, before the 20th century ended. It was even in the masthead of the Awake magazine that this was the creator's promise.

No major Christian movement has been so insistent on prophesying the end of the present world in such definite ways or on such specific dates as have Jehovah's Witnesses BUT they claim they are not false prophets. Others like Harold Camping that set doomsday dates are false prophets, but Jehovah's Witnesses have never ever even once been right and they get a pass.

Jehovah's Witnesses do not have a leader, but follow those taking the lead.

Jehovah seeks out "deserving ones" to give undeserved kindness to. (Search "deserving ones.")

The Governing Body members are not inspired so they make mistakes. They are spirit-directed. What exactly is "spirit-directed" and how does it differ from "inspired" other than allowing them to make mistakes?

When "new light" upends previously long-taught beliefs, JW's may privately question the changes and even quietly wonder how they, associated with supposedly God's "spirit-directed" organization, could have been so wrong for so many years that a major teaching required restructuring or outright abandonment. (Such as the Generation of 1914 - a stark example of a foundational teaching which had impacted the lives of all JW's for over 70 years. And, poof! The belief evaporates into oblivion.)

Despite the drastic changes, the average JW sees "new light" as proof that the organization is "the truth" as it progresses closer and closer to a light getting brighter. The best coping remedy that is used by active JW's in order to shift away from critical thinking is to do the opposite, stuff those nagging questions to the far recesses of the mind and stay busy in the "theocratic work". On the other hand, for any JW to dwell on the matter will eventually lead to independent research and, when presented with facts, will produce more questions. This will broaden one's 'horizons' which, in time, will eventually morph into questioning the WT authority itself. But then, such independent thinking and open questioning, no matter what you read about the Bereans, makes them feel terribly guilty and many just stop questioning or cave in to the elders when questioned. They accept that when a Watchtower says things differently, it must be so.

If a person continues independent thinking and criticizes the organization (primarily by merely quoting it) to other Witnesses, a typical Witness, instead of objectively examining the evidence, will tell us we’ll be sorry when our eyes are pecked out at Armageddon.

There are many experiences in the Yearbooks that seemed to reveal Jehovah’s miraculous saving power, but other experiences where His attention was completely absent from the horrific demise of many righteous servants. Similarly, experiences on the Circuit Assemblies about Jehovah miraculously directing Jim Bob Elder to get a raise at work so that he could pay next month’s rent and continue pioneering. BUT........

There was the genocide in Rwanda. Entire Witness families were literally macheted to death; including the small children. Somehow small Witness children in Rwanda were not quite worth the effort of sending any miracle.

Here are some more observations made by Steven Hassan:

“There is no room in a mind control environment for regarding the group’s beliefs as mere theory, or as a way to interpret reality or to seek reality. The doctrine is reality.”

“Cult doctrine always requires that a person distrust his own self. The doctrine becomes the ‘master program’ for all thoughts, feelings, and actions. Since it is the TRUTH, perfect and absolute, any flaw in it is viewed as only a reflection of the believer’s imperfection.”

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

There are so many areas if cognitive dissonance, at least for me when I was a JW, it's hard to know where to start

We, as JWs, are taught that this religion is the only true religion. The bible in John 13:35, says that the distinguishing mark of true Christians is that they have love among themselves. Now, there are many fine people in this religion, but many do not experience this love that is supposed to be the mark of true Christians. Unlike many churches, there is no coordination of help for those who are experiencing difficult times. While individuals may be compassionate, compassion is not expressed at the congregation level. Instead, many who are experiencing difficulties find that they are criticized for not doing all that Jehovah's Witnesses are expected to do. True Christans are supposed to be compassionate, not critical. To make matters worse, the organization, which creates this hyper critical and judgemental environment, pretends that the congregations a "spiritual paradise"'. This contradiction between words and deeds creates cognitive dissonance.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Thank you all. I really appreciate your time and thoughts. I'll work on the list when I can and post, hopefully tomorrow.

Zzzzzzzzzz

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Dagney - "Cognitive Dissonance - Best of"

Sounds like an ironic alt-rock band's "greatest hits" compliation...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit