Any recent wack-a-doodle elder comments in your congo lately?

by sir82 16 Replies latest jw friends

• sir82
    sir82

Our go-to wack-a-doodle elder moved to a new congregation a few years back. The position has been vacant since then.

We had an elder move in a few months back. He appears to be angling for the position of resident wack-a-doodle.

At last night's service meeting, he said (paraphrased): "As a congregation, we've been busier than ever before with our special campaign. And all over the earth, similar things were happening. Remember what happened with the Israelites at Jericho? For 6 days, they marched around the city. But on the 7th day, there was a huge increase in activity - they marched around the city 7 times - and then the end of that city came....[pregnant pause]....well, it's something to think about, isn't it?"

I believe he was trying to imply that Armageddon is imminent, and his evidence is that millions of JWs were busier than ever, pushing advertising flyers into door jambs.

What has been your experience? Any elders (or anyone else) making wack-a-doodle comments about the "historic month of activity" and what it might possibly mean?

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Oh, we've got a few in our congregation. One elder recently said "It's a good thing they're making such a fuss about the 100 yr aniversary - It means that they're not going to change 1914 anytime soon."

That one took me by surprise.

Once at the meeting for service the conductor was taking it upon himself to reinforce the "new light" of the overlapping generation, and the other elder present just butted in, "I think they just changed it because everyone from 1914 is dead so obviously it was wrong."

Both of these elders are in for the long haul, but it was shocking for me to hear them basically say they're just making it up as they go along.

Another one that I thought was hillarious was at the last WT study (which was mostly about trying to help men "reach out" to do more volunteer work in the congregation) the conductor kept referencing the apostle peter and how rambunctious he was and saying "who would think that he'd become the rock of the congregation?" apparently he was referencing Matt. 16:18. Correct me if I'm wrong, though, but I thought the JW interpretation of that was that the rock was Jesus, not Peter. The Catholics refer to this scripture to state the Peter was the first Pope, but the JWs reject that interpretation.

• Divergent
    Divergent

I heard the MOST judgemental elder in the cong give a comment about NOT judging when the study article which strongly emphasized that brothers & sisters in the cong should not be quick to judge others was being discussed 2 weeks ago..

Wanted to puke...

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

YES!!!

As Sir82 said!

We had one say exactly the same thing re Jericho and the walls...

Apparantly, we are in the time that parralels the 7th time they walked around the walls!... so the big A is about to happen "anytime soon"

And as Just kidding said....the ones who were so vocal during that WT study about "being kind and not judging others" are our BIGGEST culprits!

They seriously must not see the hypocrisy coming out of their mouths!?

• sporece
    sporece

Have not been at a meeting in the last 7-8 years but Armaggeddon is always around the corner.

I would throw up if i was seating in the audience....same old ...same old crap.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

There was one goofball elder in particular that sticks out in my mind. I don't exaggerate when I say his IQ was most likely below 80. Soon after he was appointed we were out in service and a pioneer sister handed me a stack of excess magazines since I was running short. He told her she could count them as placements. Even if you place them with a brother or sister, they still count. He wasn't kidding. We were out in service once just over an hour and he told me to put down 3 hours because after all we were regular pioneers. Another time he showed me his elders book and insisted that I read through it on the theory that it would encourage me to reach out for appointment. It made me very uncomfortable.

I've been inactive going on 10 years now. Recently I went to visit my mother and took her to a restaurant. This elder was there and approached our table to chit chat. Turns out he recently moved to a neighboring town to "serve where the need is great." He invited me to join him since they needed capable brothers to serve. I honestly don't think he remembered that I've been MIA for a decade. The guy would say all manner of ridiculous things from the platform, but I've mostly forgotten them. I don't miss having to spend time with that guy.

• piztjw
    piztjw

Yep!

"Thank you Father for the wunnerful [sp] provision of the internet "the slave" has made. Father it is wunnerful that we can show people "the truth" on the internet and jw.org. It is amazing how many people who would never know the wunnerful things you provide Father can now know them."

Gawd, I have to stop or I will throw up in the back of my throat.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

Just thought of another one to add. Not an elder but positively hilarious. This guy in his early 20s, that brain-dead reformed junkie type, gets asked to give closing prayer one Thursday. About 2 sentences in he drops this gem:

"...and Jehovah, we're sorry for all the shit.....we're sorry for all the things that we do wrong..."

I don't think I've heard a more hesitant collective amen before or since.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

haha! oneeyedjoe!

• blondie
    blondie

*** w84 3/15 pp. 18-19 pars. 16-17 God’s United “Mighty Nation” to Fill the Earth ***

The expanding visible organization of Jehovah is nearing the time when he will use it in another mighty way: to deliver his final judgment message against this system. This may be likened to the time when the Israelites, who had already marched around Jericho once a day for six days, were instructed: “On the seventh day you should march round the city seven times and the priests should blow the horns. . . . When you hear the sound of the horn, all the people should shout a great war cry; and the wall of the city must fall down flat.” So on the final day the work speeded up by seven times! Then the horns sounded, the people shouted a war cry and “the wall began to fall down flat.”—Joshua 6:2-5, 20.

17 Today the “soft” waters of truth are being taken to the people to encourage them to turn to Jehovah. But the day soon will come when the message will turn “hard.” It will announce the imminent end of this entire satanic system. The soft waters of truth will congeal to become the hard hailstones of truth. So powerful will these final judgment messages be that they are likened to “a great hail with every stone about the weight of a talent,” that is, of gigantic size. That is why Revelation 16:21 states: “The plague of it was unusually great.”

*** w08 7/15 pp. 6-7 par. 15 The House-to-House Ministry—Why Important Now? ***

What developments are yet in store for the preaching work? The siege of Jericho, recorded in the book of Joshua, provides an illustration. Recall that just before God destroyed Jericho, the Israelites were instructed to march around the city once a day for six days. On the seventh day, however, there was to be a marked increase in their activity. Jehovah told Joshua: “You should march round the city seven times and the priests should blow the horns. And it must occur that when they sound with the horn of the ram, . . . all the people should shout a great war cry; and the wall of the city must fall down flat.” (Josh. 6:2-5) It is possible that there will be a similar expansion of our preaching activity. No doubt, by the time of the destruction of the present system of things, we will have seen the greatest witness to God’s name and Kingdom in the history of this world.

---------------------------

That concept seems to have been used over time...7th march prior to the end

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit