Have you had a crisis of concience?

by new hope and happiness 16 Replies latest jw friends

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

My little boy has decided he wants to be a vegetarian and has been for over a year now. I fully accepted and supported this.

My view however is no matter what you eat or how you eat it ....beings will die for you to eat.

I have noticed where we live we have the terms " free range" and " ecological". If affordable i am sure most peoples preferrd option for their own health and the conditions of the animals.

I would say everyone has the right to eat what they want within reason. We had an international food market in town las week and the Australian stand was selling crocodile and kangaroo. Certain cultures eat Dogs and Monkies. ( who am i to judge?)

I mean personally i dont like the way many animals are treated prior to being killed and yes i am having a crisis of conceience when i eat certan foods.

Have your eating habits been effected by concience?

Any thoughts about food and our non humun friends?

• Dis-Member
    Dis-Member

I have recently changed to a vegetarian diet for about the last 6 months. For the moment I still have milk, eggs and cheese and dairy products till I can find suitable protein alternatives but all meat has been removed from my shopping lists. Not for ethical reasons though.. just health ones.

I love and feel a great deal towards animals and am sure as time goes on and I learn more how animals are treated in the food industry that my motives will become more ethical and I will cut out eggs and dairy too.

I have to say though since quitting all meat I feel better, sleep better, feel lighter, have more energy, more stable moods and emotions, feel less anger and aggression too. My shopping bill is substantially cheaper as well.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I think as part of the priviledge of being at the top of the food chain we have certain responsibilties

towards animals and the environment, cruelty free,sustainability blah blah,blah,etc,etc.

I try to find out as much as is reasonably possible about where the eggs/meat I buy came from,

how it was farmed etc.

But if God didn't intend for humans to eat animals why did he make them out of meat?

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Sparrowdown: " But if God didn,t intend for humuns to eat animals why did he make them out of meet?"

The .." .....why did he make them out of meet?" is a thought that never ended my head even when i belived in God and i guessed why i raised the question. I mean to bebate and question is the best way to keep learning and thinking. I await a respoce to your question from someone who belives in God.

Dis.member: I really appreciated your post.

• Divergent
    Divergent

Ever wondered how animals would look like / function / survive if they were NOT made of meat??

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

just kidding :- looking at the lovely cute kittie photo in your avestor reminded me of a article in the local newspaper about the dissapearance of cats. Apparentley they ended up in a local chineese.

Which brings to a recent outrage about horse meets being in certain foods. I think the real outrage was that the public were not informed of what they were eating.

• Fernando
    Fernando

I'm becoming more conscious of healthy eating habits, if that counts.

• new hope and happiness
    new hope and happiness

Of course it counts Fernando, but i would add not just eating habits but smoking habits ad well. But the other side of thar is as Ronnie Vancant said " live fast, die young and live a good looking corpse"

Anyway i tend to agree with what a friend said me " HEALTH is WEALTH"

• Godsendconspirator
    Godsendconspirator

McDonalds gave me food poisoning once and I never went back. I guess that counts.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

@NEW HOPE AND HAPPINESS -

That question is a joke from way back, I just assumed everyone would have heard it.

Sorry for the confusion, I don't really think God made animals out of meat it's just

my sense of humour.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit