A must to be MS?

by crazyhorse 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• crazyhorse
    crazyhorse

So is it a must and an absolute requirement to be a Ministerial Servant in the org?

I was told that if I refuse an appointment as an MS then it means I'm opposing "Jehovah's call to service"

• jgnat
    jgnat

Noooo.....

You have earnestly prayed about it and your bible-trained conscience has directed you to turn down the appointment. Who is this man who claims to speak for Jehovah? Can he read hearts?

• Strangelove
    Strangelove

I do not believe it is a "Must." But I know they pressure it greatly upon single "spiritual" young men. And that there seems to be this stigma against any who do not wish to take the lead. (Just from what I've seen)

• El_Guapo
    El_Guapo

I was an MS for years. I was told twice in three years that I had been recommended to be an elder, and was asked if there was anything that would disqualify me. I told them that I couldn't read hearts and would be impossible for me to be part of JC and decide if someone had repented or not. That was a total can of worms, even the CO got involved. Eventually that stopped once I quit the meetings cold turkey and stopped answering elder calls.

• cultBgone
    cultBgone

But you cannot be da'd or df'd for turning it down. They are just trying to pressure you to do What They Want, not What's Best For You. They don't really care about you but they always want more unpaid labor to light their workload.

It's your life, not theirs. HUGS to you!

• naazira
    naazira

No, it is not a must. Same with the theocratic ministry school.

• crazyhorse
    crazyhorse

Thanks guys. There's a lot of support and real understanding Here than in the supposed organization of true love

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I was approached several times and was told that my name came up in the Elders meeting as a recommendaton to be a M.S. but I needed to increase my hours in field service first. I had two young children, a full time job, spent 10 hours a week commuting back and forth, 5 hours a week sitting in meetings, 3 hours a week getting dressed for and traveling to meetings, 2 hours a week studying with the family and preparing for the book study and watchtower study 4 hours a month going in service on the weekends not to mention all the time at volunteering and sitting through assemblies each year. Finally I told them that I'm the same person with the same abilities whether I spend 10 hours in service or 4 and it was pretty discouraging to think that I wasn't doing enough to even qualify for an unpaid volunteer position that I didn't even volunteer for.

That was the beginning of the end for me. I quit striving so hard to make it to meetings. If I was tired, I stayed home. If I had things to do around the house on the weekends, I did them rather than go in service. When they got rid of the Book Study after saying for decades how important it was, I realized that so much of the activities JW's do is completly man made busy work and I let them know why when they expressed concern about not seeing me around as much and saw that my wife and kids were attending the meetings without me. Pretty soon that ended as well.

• Splash
    Splash

"If any man is reaching out for the office of overseer, he is desirous of a fine work."

It says IF. It's not mandatory. Next time you are badgered look them in the eye and say "stop twisting the scriptures".

Splash

• ABibleStudent
    ABibleStudent

Hi crazyhorse, DITTO what El_Guapo wrote, or that you are waiting on Jehovah for a sign that you are ready to serve. On the other hand, JW sisters would find you more appealing as an MS than a R&F.

Have you tried playing the incompetent card? The more mistakes that you make the less likely that the WTBTS will want you as a MS.

Peace be with you and everyone, who you love,

Robert

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit