Would you go to church?

by Coded Logic 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Coded Logic
    Coded Logic

I have an unspoken rule that if someone ever invites me to a church - that I haven't been to before - I will go. Even though I'm an atheist I'm still interested in the experiance. Just like I'm not into basketball but I would like to go to a game sometime to feel the energy of the crowd.

Growing up as a JW I've never set foot in another church. I am currious as to what the atmosphere is like and what the pastor teaches and how people treat each other. I've often thought that since the Priest wouldn't have outlines pre written by a governing body and wouldn't have so much dogma that the services at a small church would be much more relivant and personal. Though I suppose that all depends upon what denomination the church is.

Anyone have any experiance with this sort of thing? And if a friend invited you to attend services would you check it out?

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

I actually find that some of the old buildings are quite beautiful in an architectural way, something I never took time to look at when I was an active JW. As far as attending, I would go to a wedding or funeral...as I did when I was active. I'm not a believer though I almost accepted an invitation to attend a passover celebration at a synagogue in a city I was visiting that night. Funny how I had no desire to go to the memorial at the KH...

• naazira
    naazira

If a friend invited me then I would attend. Most of the denominations are so much more lively than the kingdom hall. I have noticed that zero to none have prepared sermons given to them by the leadership.

• 4thgen
    4thgen

I've toured some churches on vacation simply for the history of the buildings, etc. But to attend with the hopes of getting reconnected to a religion? No. You will find that many on this site are jaded from religion after learning TTATT.

With that said, if you want to go....then GO! Enjoy! But don't get caught up in any religious cult again.

• Strangelove
    Strangelove

I've thought about it, and I simply do not know. I am not afraid to, and I believe some Church's Subjectivly look pretty cool.

I still have to say no. Despite my curiosity. It's a conviction thing. I do not support the Church. Nor any Religon for that matter. And I know, I know, you don't have to believe to enter. But that sends a message I am tollerant of Mind Control. I do the same for movies, if it's just another Formula made movie for the masses, I won't go, even if I kind of want to. Again, only one person, but I think change starts with you. (Why does that sound so cheesy when I say it?)

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I do the same for movies, if it's just another Formula made movie for the masses

I can relate to this feeling STRANGELOVE.

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Everyone should try a couple of church services just for the experience. I enjoy Unity Church, used to go quite regularly, they accept all religions & beliefs & lifestyles. I've been to more dogmatic churches and did not enjoy the experience, too uncomfortable & judgemental. I went to a Presbyterian Church and was bored by all the boring repetitive chants every week-- they repeated scripted information same thing every week.

• Ding
    Ding

Why wait for an invitation?

If you want to attend a church, pick one and go.

• Fernando
    Fernando

As a believer in Jesus, and in the liberating gospel message about him, I do not believe in religion, but would like to take a tour of different manmade "Churches".

However I find clericalism offensive, and am still trying to figure out how to respond to the usual ignorant questions, and the obsessive possessive aggressive judgmental recruitment mentality:

"Where do you go to Church"?

• clarity
    clarity

I think I am so over it..........just cannot stand the

cliqueyness (? )...if you are not one of them, you will

not be accepted! Tested it out!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit