My Story: from JW Elder to Born Again Christian to Agnostic

by passwordprotected 49 Replies latest jw experiences

• besty
    besty

Like you, your posts are getting better with time :-)))))

Its one of the big values of JWD that this type of journey is documented both in realtime and then for as long as Simon cares to maintain the site.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Too true Besty ! I have seen the changes in myself, and other posters too, as we travelled along the road to freedom and reality. I rather wish I had kept a journal like P.P.

It would have been interesting to me to see my innermost thoughts and feelings over the years, I can see some of it from the posts on here, but they only tell part of the story.

I think many of us feel we are now very different people from when we first came here, but hopefully most feel as I do.

I feel I am a much better person, not just by leaving the JW rubbish behind, but by the help of many posters on here who have shaped my views and helped my education.

Thanks again P.P for your story.

• KateWild
    KateWild

PP very well written. Your experience is different from mine in so many ways. But it was a joy to read. Thank you. Kate xx

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Very nice. I know how this feels having gone thru it myself. Letting that certainty go, being comfortable with NOT kowing as you put it is a journey. It's one worth taking. In the end it's great to be free. Most people never take the chance to start over. You have. Good luck.

Isaac

• Raphael
    Raphael

Wow, hard to believe I joined JWN 9 years ago . Haven't logged in for a good couple of years, but saw your story which ,resonates so closely with my own experiences. I was disfellowshipped in my 20's . About 5 years ago did an Alpha Course here in the UK and was baptised in an Evangelical Church , which is part of the New Frontiers movement . I was with them for about 2 years. There were always a few things in the church I didn't feel comfortable with , one was their constantly asking for money, also their emphasis on speaking in tongues. The breaking point came when they began to refer to the founder of the movement , Terry Virgo as Gods Apostle . Also the elders where very insular and I felt uncomfortsble with what I perceived as controlling behaviour . Long story short , I came across a video series by Dan Mages a former Evangelical Christian now athiest and thus began my exit from the church . I still believe in God , however have a far more open mind , a liberal theology, and nolonger belong to or attend any church . Needless to say I am also happier than I have been in many years as a result . I would have to agree that religion is indeed a snare and a racket ;-)

• SophieG
    SophieG

Thank you for sharing your story of your spiritual awakening! Namaste!

• sprintcmp
    sprintcmp

(Every day I relish the freedom I've received from religion, from dogma, from assured religious certainty, to having all of my decisions shaped or controlled by someone else's interpretations of a man-made religious book. This means that only I can take responsibility for today's actions, I can't hand my choices off to a higher being. This brings peace and a sense of greater responsibility for my life.)

So well said! My sentiments exactly.

• PaintedToeNail
    PaintedToeNail

Pass-What a wonderful story. Having peace with yourself is a huge thing, and passing feelings of worthiness onto your kids is a true gift.

Wishing you the very best.

PTN

• GreenhornChristian
    GreenhornChristian

A few times I felt as though I was reading my own journey.

I am surprised at the short amount of time from when you began to question the truf to when you quit going. I too was an Elder, however, when I first began to question to when I quit attending was just over 6 years. Steve Hassan says it can take 8-10 years. Bravo for you.

I was 38 when leaving in 2010. Tried Christianity and now embrace eastern philosophy. It's very interesting how many follow a similar pattern.

May you continue to have peace.

• Auntfancy
    Auntfancy

marked

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit