Are Congregation Picnics still forbidden? If so, Why???

by NAVYTOWN 38 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

As to forbidden, some BOEs felt it was easier for them to not allow them or make so many rules it scared the crap out of anyone who had some "privilege" they could lose. The WTS lets elders make internal rules to bring "order" to the congregation. I was in a congregation that shared a KH with another and that other forbade such gatherings, the one I was in did not "forbid" but insisted on proper chaperones. Was there a battle between those 2 BOEs and it is still going now 15 years later.

• cha ching
    cha ching

Watchtower, March 1st 2006 pp. 20-21 "Wholesome Recreation That Refreshes"

Some Reminders and Cautions

14 Having large social events is not advisable, since supervision at such is often difficult. At a time that does not interfere with spiritual activities, a few families may decide to enjoy a picnic together or play a game that is not overly competitive. When some of the elders, ministerial servants, or other mature ones are present at a social gathering, they provide an influence for good and the occasion can be even more refreshing.

15 At social gatherings, those making the arrangements should not overlook the need for proper supervision. While you enjoy showing hospitality, would you not feel very bad if you learned that because of some negligence on your part, a guest was stumbled by what occurred in your home? Consider the principle discussed at Deuteronomy 22:8. The Israelite who constructed a new home was required to build a parapet around the flat roof, which was often used to entertain guests. Why? “That you may not place bloodguilt upon your house because someone falling might fall from it.” In a similar way, what you do—without imposing unreasonable restrictions—to protect your guests at a social gathering should be with their physical and spiritual interests at heart.

16 If alcohol is served at a social gathering, this should be done with great discretion. Many Christian hosts decide to serve alcoholic drinks only if they can personally oversee what their guests are served or consume. Nothing should be permitted that might stumble others or tempt anyone to overindulge. (Ephesians 5:18, 19) For various reasons, some guests may decide to abstain from alcohol. Many places have a minimum legal drinking age, and Christians will be obedient to Caesar’s laws even if these regulations seem overly restrictive.—Romans 13:5.

17 The host should make sure that any music, dancing, or other entertainment is consistent with Christian principles. Musical tastes differ, and a wide variety of music is available. However, much of today’s music promotes a spirit of rebellion, immorality, and violence. There is a need for being selective. Decent music need not necessarily be sedate, but neither should it be sensuous or vulgar, with emphasis on noise and a loud beat. Be careful that you do not leave the choice of music to someone who has yet to appreciate the need for keeping the volume at a moderate level. A dance that involves immodest behavior, emphasizing erotic movements of the hips and breasts, would obviously not be proper for a Christian.—1 Timothy 2:8-10.

Occasional recreation and entertainment that is wholesome and refreshing can make life more enjoyable. Jehovah does not deny us this pleasure, but realistically we know that such activities do not in themselves help us to store up any spiritual treasures in heaven. (Matthew 6:19-21) Jesus helped his disciples to understand that “seeking first the kingdom and [God’s] righteousness” is the important thing in life, not what we may eat or drink or wear, “things the nations are eagerly pursuing.”—Matthew 6:31-34.

There is an insidious, well constructed, round the bend way the WTBS pours guilt on to you, puts pressure on you making you feel that you are not "godly" unless you follow these "guidelines"/ "directions from God" / "mothers orders"... Elders feel as if they are not "doing their job" unless they ALSO "enforce" these "Reminders and Cautions"

(Haha Blondie, as I am typing this up, you beat me to the post ;-) I love how you always have quotes from their own 'written word'...

• AlphaMan
    AlphaMan

I remember the congregation gatherings and fun being quite frequent in the early & mid-80's.. Then Brooklyn started coming out with counsel against "large gatherings". I believe some of it was because of their fear of apostacy, and some of it was from some of the sexual scandals that had happened. Anyway, it got to the point where rarely did JW's gather for fun in my area.

• Divergent
    Divergent

Forbidden? Not at all. The cong I went to had them all the time...

• Beautiful Dreamer
    Beautiful Dreamer

Congregation picnics. Fun times.

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

We had HUGE congregation picnics and weekly circuit baseball games in the 70s. After Ray Franz was D'fd in the 80s they got throttled down. The C.O also banned Monday night "independant" Watchtower study groups.

In the early -mid 90s some COs clamped down on "Congregation" picnics big time. Some entire body of elders boycotted 50th Wedding anniversaries even.

In the late 90s I attended some ROCKIN Congregation picnics/parties (over 100) hosted by Elders however- only "cool" (quiet) JWs were invited.

• blondie
    blondie

Like I said Just Kidding, it all depended on the BOE. If they allowed them, congregations had them. If they were cowards or powermongers, not.

• cantleave
    cantleave

Banned? We used arrange them after bank holiday field service arrangements.

• Divergent
    Divergent

True, Blondie. Anyway, I've noticed that in many congs the BOE's have gone from being uptight & rigid to being more relaxed & liberal, due to the appointment of younger elders & the older ones dying off...

• blondie
    blondie

The WTS is more tight-assed in the US. I had a Bethelite say that the farther a congregation was from NY Bethel, the more relaxed they were.

There are congregation picnics here too but only if a jw in good standing hosts it and has proper chaperones provided (just like wedding receptions). The host was also considered responsible for whatever "bad" actions occurred at it and any uninvited people that showed. All understood not in writing. It scared some that is why it was an elder who sponsored it every year...not afraid. Never called a congregation picnic officially just a picnic hosted by that elder.

Just because a person's experience is different from your own does not make it invalid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit